Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Syncscan guiding system, is it worth it?

Hello everybody,

I'm thinking about getting a dual axis motor drive with guiding system for my EQ5. Sometimes it gets awkward reaching the telescope knobs and have some difficulty finding my way in the night sky. Do you think a Skywatcher Syncscan upgrade kit - or similar system - is a good investment? It costs around £300 -- such a bank breaker!!

Oh, I've got a SW Explorer 200p.

Any advice?

Imad

SWEQ3Upgrade.jpg

I think it's a nice function for visual. Love my synscan on my NEQ-6 since dont yet have a PC with star charts and EQmod with me.

However if you plan on breaking into AP, you could also consider getting a heavier mount instead, since hte EQ-5 isn't as "future proof" as the HEQ-5 or NEQ-6. The 200p is undermounted on the EQ-5 for AP.

Agree with Carl's comments above, it really depends on what you want the motors for to be honest. Astrophotography is all about the mount and in particular, precise tracking. The general rule is not to burden the mount with kit that is more than half of it's load capacity but in practice you can go a little over. The HEQ5 and NEQ6 are not only bigger but they have better quality motors than their smaller siblings which helps ensure a higher degree of accuracy - at a certain price point. It the motors are to help you with your observing then expensive as this upgrade kit is, it is certainly cheaper than buying a HEQ5 new or used (...if they come up at all) as everyone wants them for imaging.

Clear skies

James

I really wouldnt bother with getting the Upgrade Kit. Goto is a necessity if you are looking to do AP (Astrophotography), but for that scope and by the time you start adding cameras, guiding scope etc, you will be right on the limit if not over it for what that mount can handle. AP, is hard enough when you have the right equipment. I would consider selling the EQ5 and buying either a new or second hand HEQ5, or EQ6, with synscan-goto. Save the £300 and put it toward the money you sell the mount for.

I started of with the 200P and Eq5 combo, and so realised i needed the HEQ5.

Hope that helps

Keiran

Archived