Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Field curvature in Hyperion zooms?

Has anyone reported any problems with this? I had first light with the zoom in my f5 refractor last night and the field curvature was quite pronounced with the zoom at 24mm and progressively less down to (say) 18mm-12mm or so where it pretty much disappeared. I was hoping to try the eyepiece in a larger focal ratio scope to see if that was a factor (is field curvature affected by focal ratio/ length? :D) but the clouds beat me to it.

Has anyone else got any experience with this eyepiece? I know f5 can be fairly demanding on eyepieces over a number of aberrations and if thats the deal with the eyepiece at f5 then fair enough but if somebody could just put my mind at rest... :lol:

My zoom shows some quite pronounced aberrations at the 24mm setting in my f/4.7 Newt which improve as the focal length setting decreases, pretty much disappearing by the 12mm setting. It's much less of an issue in my f/8.3 refractor. I find the field curvature is the more pronounced aberration, more so then astigmatism.

Like Gordon though I don't notice any curvature in my 24mm Pan so I guess I'm not hypersensitive to it...

James

Archived