skymaster 127 goto scope > Cable Type from Handheld to Telescope?

I want to extend the existing cable which connects my telescope to the AtoZ Hand Controller in order for me to control my telescope from a distance.

Can anyone tell me what type of cable this is? One end looks like it is similar to an Ethernet adapter (RJ45) which plugs into the controller. The other end looks like a broadband router connector (RJ-11

Telephone/adsl)

In each of the connections only 5 of the wires are being used which suggests to me that telephone/Broadband cable should work. Also on the hand controller it appears there are 2 input connectors and it can either accept RJ-45 or RJ11 connectors. Certainly i have already attempted plugging in telephone cable but this certainly does not work.

Anyone done this before? Is there a wiring diagram anywhere? What type of cable do i require?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the advice and certainly sounds like RJ45 extension cable will do the trick.

I was reading on other forums that some telescopes are connected via serial connection directly to computer. Do any of you know if my mount can be connected directly to PC and therefore remove the AZ controller from the equation.

Certainly my telescope does not have a serial connector and i don't think it is using RS232 cable?

Possibly there is some USB convertor cable to cable 'X' connected to telescope 20 metres away that i am connect directly to PC. Or possibly this is not possible with the type of mount i have.

This site here describes a convertor but appears to only support EQ type mounts and not mine.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/hitecastro/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

Anyone advise if its possible for straight connection to PC using my mount?

Thanks for advice again. I read through the post and it appears i keep the existing connection between my controller and telescope and put it into PC Mode. So my last question is how do i connect my PC via USB to the AZ Controller itself.

On the other forum you pointed me to there was a link for RS232 to USB adapter. However, looking at this one end is USB (correct) but the other is a serial connector which won't plug into anything? Do i then have to find another lead which plugs into the serial connector and then into the controller?

The SynScan AZ controller does havea space lookng 6 pin connection but looks like broadband connection type connector? This appears to be what i would use to connect to PC.

Possibly> RS232 to USB Adapter (+drivers) then from RS232 serial connector to what appers to look like an RJ11 connector?

Also for the SynScan AZ Controller can someone confirm what the connectors are officially called?

1 > Looks like standard RJ45 Connector > this goes to telescope with existing cable that came with telescope

2 > Looks like RJ11 type connector (smaller) > Unused at the moment but i'm assuming this is what i could use to connect to PC.

3 > Power connection for using in standalone mode as the power is currently transferred from telescope to connector 1.

Thanks

Thanks. Can you tell me the name of this serial cable from PC to the middle port (2) of the handset is called? Where would i get one?

I have only ever seen Serial cables with big PC connectors at each end which i would use to connect to PC Serial port if it has one. This is where my USB to Serial convertor would come in.

However, i have not seen a lead which has PC Serial Connector to small middle port(2) handset controller (small). Where would i get one of these?

The cable, according to Skywatcher, is called a PC-link cable, most astro dealers should stock them http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/serial-cable-for-skywatcher-and-celestron-mounts.html . The handset ports are officially named (1) mount port, (2) multi-purpose port and (3) power port.

Sorry pretty sure I know what i am going for now as found the correct leads on ebay. It is a USB to Serial convertor (female). Plug into this Male Serial connector to Middle port on controller. Just unsure of the offical name for this connector type at the controller end?

There is one on ebay but i would prefer to know the name of this adapter so i can make one myself;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cable-for-Synta-Synscan-Skywatcher-PC-connection-/121047383572?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item1c2efc7e14

Also just to add. Why has no-one simply built USB > Small Connector removing the need for female serial/male serial? Appears to me i should be able to make USB to serial cable which will connect directly into the SynScan. This should be possible and reduce costs?

Archived