M33 naked eye...

ollypenrice

I've heard it said that M33 can be naked eye. I've never seen it, or have I? Once the imaging was sorted and running, tonight, I sat on a lounger looking SW and got really well adapted. I was in a bit of a non astro daydream and vaguely became aware of the slightest of glows where I wasn't expecting one, so I lifted the bins and saw M33. I went back and forth between naked eye and bins and the slight glow really might have been M33. My eyes aren't good and I'm still not sure but it was a bit of a thriller all the same.

Olly

Certainly from here (rural, S. Oxfordshire), M33 is relatively easy with 15x70s on a clear night, and after seeing it thru' binos and looking at the same spot, I can see a faint fuzzy glow with the naked eye. There is a classical description (Mallas) though where he raises the question of whether folk are seeing the galaxy itself or sometimes the foreground stars.

Chris

You guys do mean M33, not M31? I'm amazed that you could see M33 from the edge of town but if you did you did.

Olly

I do but I didn't say it was from town. I can't see it with my naked eye from my local observing site. I have to go further out of town to a better dark sky site.

Archived