NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ep's like pin holes ... Why?

autonm

Can anyone explain why when I love through my say 25mm or say 10mm I get quite a good field of view.

However when i look through my 5mm it's as if I am looking through a pinhole and really have to squint my eye and hold things directly on to see anything.

Im sure there is a simple answer.

Or do I just need to buy a 5mm with a better fov?

Thanks.

Don't know the techie answer but its how the plossl design works.

If you move away from plossls to a multi element design then the glass is wider... And generally more expensive.

BST explorers are a good well priced alternative at about £50.

Hope that makes sense, someone will explain it better I'm sure :D

Could be to do with exit pupil size. Take the focal length of the eyepiece and divide it by the focal ratio of your scope. So a 25mm ep in an f5 scope would give you a 5mm exit pupil which is a nice bright comfortable size. A 5mm ep would give you a 1mm exit pupil which to be honest should be fine, it's when you get down to 0.5mm I start having issues.

I have personally found that some brands of eyepieces (at specific focal lengths) need more precise eye positioning to see, but never really understood why.

I'm not sure what 5mm lens you use - but a plossl or orthoscopic will have a 'small' top lens to look through. Something like a 5mm BST Explorer as mentioned will have a much larger eye lens to view with and hence be more comfortable to use - more like looking through your 25mm and not like looking down a barrel !

andrew

Archived