Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where do I fit the 2" filter?

poogle

I've just recieved my 2" Baader Neodymium filter which I intend to use to fight light pollution in Stockholm and be able to aquire longer exposures for my astrophotos.

However there seems to be a slight problem, it doesn't fit anywhere :)

I have a standard t-ring that I connect to my telescope (a SkyWatcher 150P with a 2" focuser and the stock adapter that fits in the focuser) but I can't find any 2" filter threads. Am I blind or do I need anything else for this to work?

I'm also thinking of getting myself a Baader coma corrector, willI be able to screw my filter onto that and just slide the coma corrector into the focuser?

http://www.firstligh...ra-adapter.html

or something like this which screws into the T ring and has the 2" filter thread at the opposite end

Yes indeed. The problem with that approach is that many newts cannot achieve focus using a DSLR and a conventional T ring / nosepiece arrangement. On Skywatcher newts (I can't comment on other vendors), the T ring is supposed to screw directly onto the focuser using a T thread. In this configuration there is nowhere to attach a 2" filter to.

Yes indeed. The problem with that approach is that many newts cannot achieve focus using a DSLR and a conventional T ring / nosepiece arrangement. On Skywatcher newts (I can't comment on other vendors), the T ring is supposed to screw directly onto the focuser using a T thread. In this configuration there is nowhere to attach a 2" filter to.

Ah, good point don't know the extra 4mm length in the optical path as a result of the adapter will prove the bug bear.

Ah, good point don't know the extra 4mm length in the optical path as a result of the adapter will prove the bug bear.

On my Skywatcher 200P I tried both a 1.25" and a 2" nosepiece, neither would let me achieve focus with a DSLR and T ring. A barlow lens would work, as would moving the primary up the OTA. But the recommended solution is to simply unscrew the 1.25" eyepiece holder and attach a normal T ring to the resulting T thread. Job done! :). But no 2" filter thread available .... :(

I have about 10 mm to spare in inward focus with my DSLR, but I found a thread on another forum stating that the Baader Coma Corrector extends the focal plane back about 10mm (I guess the focal ratio will change aswell).

I think I'll have a go with that approach since it also looks like the MPCC has 2" filter threads

Archived