Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on aligning a Celestron star pointer finderscope

Hello, this is my first post and complete novice so please be kind...

My wife bought me a Celestron Astromaster 70 for Christmas and I got really excited. However, I have yet been able to align the star pointer finderscope. I appreciate that there are numerous posts on this subject with many critical of the pointer but my concern is what I'm seeing through it!!!

I have great eyesight (apparently) but I just can't seem to align the circles and dots with both eyes open. I find myself seeing three circles!?!? I just can't seem to focus on it correctly and I can only assume aligning with one eye doesn't work? Well at least I've tried as Jupiter is extremely bright in the sky right now and I'm seeing nothing :(

I would start with the moon but believe it or not tonight is the first clear sky since Christmas and the moon is out of site from the garden.

Can somebody please offer some tips as I'm really struggling before I've really started.

Kind regards,

I only look through the red dot finder with one eye and it works ok for me. it is a real pain in the butt tho!

So one eye is ok? That's good to know. As for turning down the brightness, I hadn't realised this was possible I only saw on on/off switch.

One final question, is there a best practice technique to looking through a telescope? Sorry if that's a ridiculous question.

When I first got an Astromaster 76, I tried everything with the red dot finer- looking through it close to, looking at it from bottom of telescope tube etc etc. The best way I found was to remove the red dot finder (2 screws hold it in place), hit with a large hammer and then use a Telrad instead.

So one eye is ok? That's good to know. As for turning down the brightness, I hadn't realised this was possible I only saw on on/off switch.

One final question, is there a best practice technique to looking through a telescope? Sorry if that's a ridiculous question.

I find using one eye is OK but I still wouldn't say its accurate. Like Said above the best thing I can think of is to just get rid and use a telrad but if that's not a option use one eye and hope for the best! As for the best way to look through a scope id say just try to find a way that doesn't make your back hurt or give you a stiff neck! If you can achieve both of those your onto a winner.

Good luck :)

Thanks! I'll look at some Telrad products then. Still no clear sky but did get round to playing with it during the day towards the mountains behind my house which was cool.

Still getting used to the tripod, a little on the stiff side when adjusting vertically but I guess I'm so used to the one for my SLR.

Just to look at the night sky now! British weather!!!!!! Haha.

I dont want to state the obvious but as no one else has I will just in case . Have you set it up in the daytime yet ?

Focus your scope on a distant object like the the top of a lamp post and make sure what you focus on is in the centre of you view.

Then adjust the red dot finder so it is looking at the same point.

Start with a big eyepiece to start ( 25 - 32 mm )

Then use a smaller eyepiece and repeat ( about 9- 12mm )

This will make a big difference.

I dont want to state the obvious but as no one else has I will just in case . Have you set it up in the daytime yet ?

Focus your scope on a distant object like the the top of a lamp post and make sure what you focus on is in the centre of you view.

Then adjust the red dot finder so it is looking at the same point.

Start with a big eyepiece to start ( 25 - 32 mm )

Then use a smaller eyepiece and repeat ( about 9- 12mm )

This will make a big difference.

Thanks! I did have a play during the day. It was a little bit foggy so got impatient. I shall persist!

Is it still worth buying a new finder in your opinion? Is there one that people recommend as I don't want to spend too much.

I have the same type as you and once the red dot is set it is as good as any other I have tried.

You only really the red dot as guide.

Do it in stages until you get more familiar with using it. Once its set it is set for good as long as you dont knock it or remove it.

I used the tip of a tree top to centre mine initially , then the moon and then Jupiter and tfinally Jupiter with a 9mm eyepiece.

The deeper in space you look the harder it is to centre and remember, as you switch between lenses there will also be a slight

differences as lenses will never sit in exactly the same place as before you took it out.

I am sure you will have successs very soon, hope this helps you.

• 1 year later...

I am also having problems in using the Star Pointer Finder Scope.

Competence: Rank beginner; had the scope a week!

Telescope: Celestron 60 LCM (the only one that I can afford!)

Scenario: Daytime test in back garden, with scope facing South, and pointing to a distant chimney stack of a house.

Steps:

1. Look through the Star Pointer Finder Scope at the top of the distant chimney stack. See that the desired target is above and to the left of the desired view.

2. Attempt to turn each of the silver screws to properly align with the desired target, only to find that undoing the screws moves the red dot further away from my target, and that doing up the two screws fully does not bring me close enough to the target.

Does the above situation arise because the actual scope is initially pointing too far away from my intended target (the distant top of the chimney stack) or does it show that there is a problem with my Finder Scope?

P.S. Considering I am on a shoestring budget, and that the 60 LCM comes with just 9mm and 25mm lenses, and cannot be connected to my home PC, what would be a sound investment to enhance my viewing/using of the scope? A Barlow, a SkyQ WiFi link, or a mains adapter that would save me money on replacement AA batteries?

• 1 month later...

I as well have the Celestron StarFinder no magnification finderscope. I hate it. The double set of circles and red dots complicates everything. And keeping both eyes open is difficult as your leaning over the telescope with your head all tilted.

I've gotten better with it and I must say the iterative approach works best. Like it was said before start during the day with a 25mm eyepiece and focus and center your object. Make your object as far away as possible. Get it all set as close as you can. Then move up to a 9mm eyepiece and further tune it. I've had limited success and will be posting a question regarding replacement finderscopes.

Archived