Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

knowledge (lack of)

GrahamJ

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just been flicking through a Nortons star atlas I bought in the 1980s it makes me realise how little I know of this amazing subject. Is it just me or do others amongst you feel daunted by how complex the subject is. Is if sometimes enough just to look and think wow.

I agree, it is an incredibly complex topic with an infinite array of things to learn :Envy: The best thing though is that you can start with just your eyes and a tiny bit of knowledge and work up from there :smiley: Quite humbling - you'll never know it all!!

I think I agree with the last post, observing is at the core of it and if you can increase your knowledge around the subject all well. And. good.

Yes, if you are inquisitive, observant and interested you will continually pick up so much information so quickly about different aspects through observing:

Why does that star appear redder than that star? [Discussion about red stars, for example, red giants and stellar evolution]

Why is the constellation of Ophiucus and Serpens mixed up in the sky? [Discussion about Ophiucus being the serpent holder and the related mythology]

Why is there purple fringing on some of the views from my refractor? [Discussion about light of different wavelengths being diffracted at different angles, and ways dealing with this]

What is the red spot on Jupiter? [Discussion about the nature of the atmosphere and underlying processes that are currently believed to create this and other storms and disturbances]

There's always something to read about when it is cloudy!

- Tony

Archived