Need help with getting Equipment

I've never had a telescope, always wanted one. But I have a pretty good chunk of money saved and Im sitting here bored out of mind and figured if I had a telescope and can start at the sky, I'll have a blast!

So.. Can you guys point me in the right direction for what to get first? I wanna be able to see a lot and don't wanna buy the wrong one and stuff.

Thanks for your help!

Hi BTD and welcome to SGL :)

Do you have a budget in mind? Scopes are many and there are several different types ranging in price from $100 to $50k. Also do you have any specific objectives in mind? (eg dso's, planets, sun, imaging or observing). It's a bit like buying a car - need some clues to help you :)

Have you already been observing with naked eye and binoculars? That is probably the best way to start, you can see a heck of a lot without a telescope if you have moderately dark skies (preferably away from town centres and bright street lights) and know where to look, plus naked eye / binoculars are much more portable.

When you buy a telescope you tend to find your vision narrowed to a tiny patch of the sky, it's easy to find yourself a bit underwhelmed by that single star or fuzzy patch in the eyepiece that you just spent an hour trying to locate; telescopes are great once you know where something is and want to get a closer look, but I have found that some of my most rewarding sessions have been just with binoculars (no set up / pack up time either).

Hi all. First of all let me say I am beginner looking to buy first scope! Initially don't want to be spending to much. I've seen a couple to get me started . 1 is a jessops 900 focal. 114 objective the other is a skywatcher 1100. 102. Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated

Dont go 4 the jessops, all they are are cheap 'toy' scopes, always go with a reputable dealer/supplier, FLO (First light optics & Telescope house are a good place to start) and the Skywatcher have a good affordable range. It all depends on what you want to look at as there isnt really one scope that fits all.

Thanks for that advice. Not sure to be honest have really enjoyed observing the planets recently with the naked eye and binoculars I found in the cupboard(poor quality). And wanted to take hobbie to next step and been looking for weeks and the amount info available is completely overloading, even in the sky at night which I subscribe to!

Thanks for that advice. Not sure to be honest have really enjoyed observing the planets recently with the naked eye and binoculars I found in the cupboard(poor quality). And wanted to take hobbie to next step and been looking for weeks and the amount info available is completely overloading, even in the sky at night which I subscribe to!

To both 'BelieveToDream' and to Jenky 69 a budget would be most helpful to narrow down the options a little regarding any advice. One of the best things that anyone can do when at the 'research' stage of purchasing new kit, is to attend a couple of public observation meetings that are organised by local astro clubs and which are held at this time of year to help you establish your own benchmark of what type and size of scope will meet your expectations. There are plenty of scopes out there that have Hubble type images of planets on their boxes or websites that list a whole range of specifications, which won't mean a thing to a beginner nor will they have any idea of what difference these numbers make at the eyepiece. Always better to try before you buy and to also remember to make a note of the eyepiece that you look though too as this can make a difference to view seen.

Clear skies

James

Archived