Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

which mount

wills

hi john i have the mount it came with on the pier it from orion themself plus it only has one drive and it run on 240v, which is ok but i use my scope at the end of my garden 100 feet away from power and dont really like the idea of 240 in the damp, also the mount gears slip when using it by hand and its a real pain to use as it has no clutch on the axles. that why i was looking to upgrade.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the equivalent scope on an NEQ6 (this is a de-mounted Skyliner 250PX tube). If the OTA is properly balanced, it takes very little motor power to move it. I can get 10min subs with this setup even with the very short focal length finderguider. It doesn't like the wind much though.

med_gallery_18573_1432_1338790551_16596.jpg

med_gallery_18573_493_1338790552_16631.jpg

Must admit I have a drum type rather long extension cable of the type intended for use with lawn movers. My gp-dx does have clutches and stepper drives via skysensor. The gears on that slipped when I bought it. One of the grub screws on the ra worm was rather loose. I'm fairly sure that's why the seller sold it. As I knew that they would take rather large telescopes I went ahead and bought it. I'm hoping to use it to replace a meade lxd650 which is rather heavy. Pinching a photo from some where this is it. :Envy: Not my kit unfortunately. They also did a heavier one, the lxd750. The 650 is reckoned to take well over meades 30lb spec. Astrophysics sold the same mount at one time. The 750 too. I haven't done any imaging yet but feel a gpdx on a pier will cope as these are definitely more stable than a tripod unless that is very massive as per the 650. Concrete pad at the bottom of the garden so a pier isn't a problem. Some people cast a concrete pier to get round the stand problems. Easy to do but fixed. I would put a bird table on top of it when not in use - should keep wives happy.

John

735260-ApoSetup.jpg

Regarding your first CCD camera you may well be better off starting a differnt thread. But here's a couple of thoughts for starters.

You will need to decide on OSC or mono - See this thread, some good info on there http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/171440-monochrome-vs-color-ccd-cameras/page__st__40__hl__+osc%20+mono#entry1751348

You will need to decide on your chip size - http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm - This site will allow you to put in your scope and then all sorts of different camera's so you can see the effects that chip size has on your field of view. CCDCalc is a favourite of mine - this is downloadable from the net.

Set yourself a budget and then all you need to decide on which manufacturer you prefer.

Easy!!! ............... NOT!!!

i am also looking for my first ccd camera if anyone has any idea, i have dslr i've been using so far bit i would love to get orions nebula with a ccd and filters

If you look in the classifieds you'll see that Rob Hodgkinson, a much respected imager and member, is selling an SX mono CCD camera.

Olly

Archived