Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan v 3.32 problems

Roy_E

I've updated my synscan firmware from 3.27 to 3.32 hoping to benefit from the enhancements. Unfortunately, there appear to be problems, at least with my set-up: sometimes on power-up the handset display is blank and requires a restart to get a display; a more anoying is that after entering the time and date instead of going to the alignment options on pressing enter the handset goes directly to setup. If I switch off and start again it will take me to the alignment options, but the next time it is fired up the glitch reappears and I have to restart. More puzzeling is the value shown for Polaris, which I assume is the hour angle. Since I setup the scope in much the same position for each session, the posion of Polaris is reasonably consistent between sessions using version 3.27. However, the value is very different from what I normally get, and it doesn't match the position for Polaris shown by Polar Finder or online Polaris finders. I've reverted to version 3.27 and find the hour angle given by the handset and Polaris Finder agree. I may be missing something, but I'd be interested to know if these problems are confined to my set-up, or if anyone else has had similar problems with the new firmware.

Roy

One thought: Is the alignment the same between the 2 firmware releases? Have SW altered the default alignment process/procedure in any way. I know that at some time it changed or was added to but may not impact you.

The other is that having read the faults and problems with SW electronics and firmware I wouldn't touch it.

What bug did V3.32 fix that was the problem for you in V3.27.

Basically if it works and doesn't impact you then just leave it with something that you know operates.

No problems with 3.27, I upgraded to take advantage of the new polar align procedure which seems to have been well received by most users. Vesrion 3.27 has always worked well for me, but since there there were no reports of problems with 3.32 it seemed to be worth trying. At least I've been able to fall back on 3.27, so its just a disappointment rather than a disaster.

Then it sounds as if the download completed but was wrong, or corrupt. Often there can be problems if you use a USB to Serial converter, some seem to work others do not. I think there is an option to alter the speed of the download, perhaps find that and set it to a lower value. Things tend to run at maximum and the maximum now will be much higher then it was when the multipin serial ports were the interface.

USB2 seems to have a speed of around 480Mbits/sec, the old serial ports were usually around 96Kb/s, sometimes 192Kb/s so the USB is a lot faster and perhaps data is simply lost.

Found a rcent post of someone having a problem with 3.23 to 3.32, their handset sounds dead.

One person suggests:

I've had this problem with a meade lx scope and did endless searches on meade site until i found one that recommended one of these and number of people had confirmed that it worked for them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyspan-High-Sp ... B000067TGW

I bit the bullet bought one and it worked first time and has worked every time since.

May be the answer.

Trouble is the cable appears unavailable presently.

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated my synscan firmware from 3.27 to 3.32 hoping to benefit from the enhancements. Unfortunately, there appear to be problems, at least with my set-up: sometimes on power-up the handset display is blank and requires a restart to get a display; a more anoying is that after entering the time and date instead of going to the alignment options on pressing enter the handset goes directly to setup. If I switch off and start again it will take me to the alignment options, but the next time it is fired up the glitch reappears and I have to restart. More puzzeling is the value shown for Polaris, which I assume is the hour angle. Since I setup the scope in much the same position for each session, the posion of Polaris is reasonably consistent between sessions using version 3.27. However, the value is very different from what I normally get, and it doesn't match the position for Polaris shown by Polar Finder or online Polaris finders. I've reverted to version 3.27 and find the hour angle given by the handset and Polaris Finder agree. I may be missing something, but I'd be interested to know if these problems are confined to my set-up, or if anyone else has had similar problems with the new firmware.

Roy

Hi Roy,

I have been having the exact same problem! I have re-downloaded and re-updated my handcontroller and I am still getting this issue.

The only thing that comes to my mind is the age of the mount and somehow being not compatible with newer version "internals". I purchased mine in December 2007.

Cheers,

Daniel

a more anoying is that after entering the time and date instead of going to the alignment options on pressing enter the handset goes directly to setup.

Yes, mine now does this - but I like this! I am in an observatory so I park the scope between sessions, so it used to be very annoying to start from park position and then be dumped into alignment every time. But I don't understand why you switch on and off - the alignment routine is just part of setup, so you just hit ok and a couple of down arrows or so and you are in the alignment routine?

NigelM

Roy,

The position of Polaris that v3.32 shows is actually a time on a clock not an hour angle. In otherwords if the value of Polaris that the HC gives you is 3:00, then Polaris is in the middle right spot or 3 o'clock on a clock face. 6:00 would put Polaris directly at the bottom of the alignment ring, etc. Unfortunately the central ring only has the four spokes in it which makes it difficult to interpolate the exact position to adjust Polaris to. If the ring had "hourly" divisions or tick marks, it would make it much easier to set Polaris to the proper position. I think there is another way of determining that position which I will try the next time I go out.

JohnD

Archived