NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC1499 - Experimental with Optec reducer

swag72

I know that some of you would have seen my previous threads about my experiments with a reducer for my Pentax 75SDHF. The Astro Physics CCD67 was moved on to pastures new and with lots of help from people on here I found and Optec NextGen 0.7x telecompressor - Specifically for well corrected fields.

Eventually I managed to get the adaptors for this as it was a little tricky to connect it all together. Last night I wanted to get out and try it as I had agreed a 30 day refund with TS if it wasnt suitable.

The spacing needed was a very precise 63.4mm and I am sorry to report that I am still about 1mm over that. Another adaptor ordered and that should sort it. I am also surprised that using my Trutek superslim filterwheel (a good couple of mm's less than the Atik one for example) I am absolutely down to a hairs width of available spacing to get to the recommended. If I was using anything other than the Trutek, I'd not be able to get close to the spacing required.

Here's an image of NGC1499 taken with 352mm fov at f4.7 - 5x1200s Ha. There are still a couple of issues (spacing, tilt and also a stacking artifact) but these are all fixable. This reducer option is definitely a keeper and one worth getting right.

So if anyone out there is after a reducer for their refractor and can not find a suitable one, this may well be the answer.

I'm not posting this as a finished article, I know that it's not perfect, but I thought it would be some closure on my previous reducer threads.

post-5681-0-13471200-1356091943_thumb.jp

That's good to know Sara, thanks for posting.

I have the Optec for my HD11 but have only managed a couple of experimental subs with it (and at that point was having more issues with guiding than anything else). I had some problems with tilt due to the circular dovetail and difficulty getting to the thumb screws but replacing the supplied screws with some longer nylon ones (used for a tattoo machine of all things!) seems to have solved it... but I won't know for sure until I can do a proper imaging run with it.

Archived