Registax keeps freezing at 10% Align...

EnigmaXXIII

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone is able to help. I am currently running Registax 6 on Windows XP (using VirtualBox on my Mac). The virtual system has 5GB RAM and is utilising two of my computers cores with 15GB Hard-Drive space. The system is really fast, and generally Registax is responsive and quick. I click 'Set Align-points' which works fine, however whenever I click 'Align' it gets to about 10% and just stops, Registax just completely locks up and refuses to do anything.

Does anyone know if a way to fix this?

Thanks.

Thanks for that. I'll download it in a bit.

I suspect the issue might be with the way I'm running the program. I don't think it likes being run though what is effectively a Windows emulator. I'll see if I can tinker with the settings to get it working.

Registax 6 (+ upgrade) won't work at all on my PC (Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core 15-2320 running at 3 GHz, 8GB of RAM). It always hangs when I hit "align" however I set it up. Registax 5 works fine; I guess they'll fix v6 eventually...

Hmm. This is interesting to know. The only way to get Registax 6 to do anything is to set the align points to the minimum, however, when doing this it fails to align properly at all, so it's pretty pointless...

I will try and install Registax 5 and see if that works.

For my lunar and solar images I use PIPP to crop and convert the CR2 images from my 450D into TIFF files and then load those into Registax 6. Often it will pick 1799 alignment points and I wind that back to 100 or so. I don't recall that I've ever had a problem stacking the TIFF files that way.

I never had success getting anything to stack the raw images directly and before using PIPP I used to just work with the JPEG files instead, but to my eye that never gives as good a result.

James

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using DSLR RAW single frames in Canon .CR2 format.

I'll try converting as well as using Registax 5 and report back! :)

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.

I couldn't get Registax to work either, it used almost 4GB of memory and took about 10 minutes just to stack two frames. It's way to complicated and unfriendly for me needs. If you are like me and just want it to work and quickly try DeepSkyStacker (http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html). Much nicer interface, shows its progress, uses minimal memory and has good default settings and a good manual.

I couldn't get Registax to work either, it used almost 4GB of memory and took about 10 minutes just to stack two frames. It's way to complicated and unfriendly for me needs. If you are like me and just want it to work and quickly try DeepSkyStacker (http://deepskystacke...lish/index.html). Much nicer interface, shows its progress, uses minimal memory and has good default settings and a good manual.

DSS won't work for lunar and solar disk images though, will it? I thought it was specifically intended for images that have stars in (or at least, rather more than one of them).

James

Archived