NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount for 1145p Imaging

lawsio

I've got a skyhawk 1145p on a standard EQ1 mount, and I want to start using it for imaging (webcam and digiscoping probably). I've thought of getting the motor for the EQ1 but I'm guessing it won't be stable enough. Can anybody advise what the bare minimum spec I should be looking at? I'm currently eying up the EQ3-2 if this is suitable. I have also looked at the SynScan AZ GOTO but I gather this won't track in the way I need it to for imaging?

What is the practicle differences between single and duel motors?

Hi Ben ....

I stand to be corrected, as I'm quite new to this imaging malarky myself, but I've been looking at the Synscan AZ Goto mount too, and as far as I'm aware it will find and track an object.

As for the individual motors - I think you only need two if you're using a guiding scope, otherwise you just use a single (RA) drive to counteract the rotation of the earth. In other words you find the object manually and then start the motor to keep it in view.

I hope that makes sense :icon_scratch:

If you want to start imaging then the very best thing you can do is buy the book 'Making Every Photon Count' in the FLO book section. If you are looking at imaging DSO's then this really is essential reading. The thing is, what do you want to image? DSO's or Planetary? The requirements are rather different for them.

I have only imaged DSO's and for that the mount is ABSOLUTELY the single most important bit of kit you will ever buy. The general consensus is that the HEQ5 is the minimum mount - There are people who do it with lesser mounts, but this is a very frustrating hobby at the best of times. The last thing you want to contend with is a mount that wobbles and is not up to the job. Again for DSO's if you want to do them justice you need long exposures as they are feint. For example, I usually image with 20 minute exposures. For that I need the mount to be absolutely rock solid. Also, guiding is probably something that you will want to consider along the line - More weight.

If you have the funds and want to future proof yourself you could always go for the NEQ6 - Probably the best mount you can buy for your money before having to spend the price of a small car.

First buy, for DSO imaging, The book!!

Hi Ben ....

I stand to be corrected, as I'm quite new to this imaging malarky myself, but I've been looking at the Synscan AZ Goto mount too, and as far as I'm aware it will find and track an object.

As for the individual motors - I think you only need two if you're using a guiding scope, otherwise you just use a single (RA) drive to counteract the rotation of the earth. In other words you find the object manually and then start the motor to keep it in view.

I hope that makes sense :icon_scratch:

Sorry but this is not correct. An alt az will find and track an object but the object will rotate within the field of view unless you are at the north or south pole - and let's assume you're not! If you are not at the poles then you need to trick your mount into thinking that it IS at the poles by tilting it to the angle of your latitude. This is called an equatorial mount.

Another way to visualise the issue is to watch (say) the constellation of Orion rise and set. In the N hemisphere the Hunter figure rises leaning to the left. As he sets he is leaning to the right. This is the rotation which stops alt az mounts from working for long exposure imaging.

In theory a perfectly polar aligned equatorial mount would need no motor drives on the dec axis. However, reality has other ideas! To image successfully on sub millionaire mounts you need to guide on both axes for long exposures. If you don't guide in dec then the errors simply accumulate.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Having stood on the actual North Pole itself (on an ice floe, of course) I can say that besides it never being dark in the period that you actually can go there, the floe moves all the time so imaging would be a drag anyway ;)

On a serious note, Listen to Olly as he is absolutely right. Sara is also right. NEQ6 is the bare bottoms minimum for safe imaging unless you want to pay top dollars, pounds or whatever your currency is. If you do want to image with Alt/Az mounts - which some do - you need a camera rotator that will cost more than the mounts you are considering...

So, look at the NEQ6, and possibly the NEQ5 if you will be using a small scope.

All the best,

Per

Archived