Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Noob looking for a camera

rob4001

Hi

I've had a pentax k10 dslr for a few years and just learned a few basics in photography. Only used kit lens it came with really. I've become interested in taking landscape star field views of the sky & maybe some close-ups of the moon.

I'm at a crossroads camera wise I. Not Solely for AP use. So i've been looking at a nikon D7000 or a Canon 5D Mark 2 I'm always wowed by photos on flickr by those cameras, although probably a lot to do with skill of the photographer.

Obviously massive diffence in cameras I was wondering weather it was worth pushing the boat out money wise for a Full Frame of the 5D? Does it make a lot of diffence for night sky photos?

Obviously Nikon a lot more wallet friendly to me.

Much appreciate any advice or other camera suggestions.

Maybe a bit biased as I'm in the Canon camp.

For "normal" daytime photography, a comaprible spec Canon or Nikon will give grea results, hard to choose between the two.

For astro work, the Canon wins hands down. This is down to the 3rd party software support on offer, APT, Backyard EOS etc.

As far as I'm aware Nikon have locked down the code, to allow any 3rd party developers having a go at producing software for it.

On average I would say you'll have a lot more choice of second hand lens etc for Canon over the Nikon. Canon sales are greater, so the brand has a larger second hand market, i.e hopeully cheaper lenses etc.

HTH.

Archived