Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TeleVue Radians

Mr Fiery Jack

Sucks! I love my 12mm Radian.

Does that mean that the Vixen LVW will go the same way?

There seem to plenty (N)LV(W) available. Good EPs, in my experience. TV do have another problem of course. With the advent of TMB Planetary EPs (and clones), some of which perform very well indeed, there was perhaps less clear daylight between Radians and offerings by other suppliers. With the Delos line covering all bases of the Radian line, and beating it handsomely in terms of sharpness, transmission and FOV , it might not make sense to keep both lines available. The Delos line also clearly targets the Pentax XW line-up, which the Radians could not really match.

Radians are still available from some suppliers, but I would also take a peek at the Pentax XF 8.5 if I were you. Very good EP (beat my Radian 8 in terms of transmission and colour neutrality), and cheaper than the Radian too.

There seem to plenty (N)LV(W) available. Good EPs, in my experience. TV do have another problem of course. With the advent of TMB Planetary EPs (and clones), some of which perform very well indeed, there was perhaps less clear daylight between Radians and offerings by other suppliers. With the Delos line covering all bases of the Radian line, and beating it handsomely in terms of sharpness, transmission and FOV , it might not make sense to keep both lines available. The Delos line also clearly targets the Pentax XW line-up, which the Radians could not really match.

Radians are still available from some suppliers, but I would also take a peek at the Pentax XF 8.5 if I were you. Very good EP (beat my Radian 8 in terms of transmission and colour neutrality), and cheaper than the Radian too.

Are the XFs safe in terms of supply? I know the XWs were discontinued, could the XFs go the same way?

I doubt rare-earth glass is the issue. I think it was discontinued because the market for the TV Radian is disappeared. The current generation of £60 Chinese 60deg is damn good and it's very hard to justify Radian's £200 price tag.

You can get a 65deg Vixen LVW for the same price as a Radian and you can get a new XW for £50 more. The LVW is considered over priced at £200 each, so you can imagine the problem faced by the 60deg Radian.

Btw, XW has NOT been discontinued. The only ones discontinued were the 2" XW 30mm and 40mm and the XO. The 1.25" XW are fine.

I think its the build quality that makes them stand out. I have used similar EPs in the past X-Cel and BSTs' and there is no doubt which EPs produced the sharpest views. I take on board what your saying though, the market is flooded with cheap copies so I dare say you're right.

The Radians do indeed have better build quality, but so does the Vixen NLVs and LVWs.

I wonder why there aren't many comparison between Radians and LVWs. There are quite a lot of comparisons between the LVW vs Panoptic, vs XW and vs Nagler, or Radian vs (N)LV, but I don't think I've came across a LVW vs Radian.

It is odd no one compares the two when LVW and Radian both cost £200 each, both have 20mm eye relief, both have similar AFOV.

Archived