NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 stripdown and clean/re-grease

Jiggy 67

Hi all,

My EQ5 (with the GoTo upgrade) is in desperate need of an overhaul, it needs a complete stripdown and clean. I'm aware of Astro Baby's guide but this is for an HEQ5. The only guide I have found is by Astronomy Boy here but this for a Celestron CG-5. My question is, are the EQ5 and the CG-5 the same mount? If I start the stripdown, following AB's guide for a CG-5, am I going to have problems? It is a nerve racking project as it is so I want to make sure I'm following the correct guide.

I stripped down my CG5 including regreasing the insides of all the bearings, the only thing complex on the CG5 is the electronic circuit board orientation on the RA drive, there isn't much space in the CG5 plastic motor housing so if the EQ5 is similar take some photos so you know how to put it back together

Be careful not to over tighten anything because the mount metal has the textile strength of cheddar cheese and you could end up stripping threads

Archived