Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Field stop in binoculars

Bender

Just treated myself to a new pair of binoculars and just had a quick look through and now a bit puzzled how the field stop should look like.

In my binoviewers I was looking for a nice clean circle.

In the binoculars it seems more like a 8 with sides not lining up to one but two fieldstops, if this makes sense.

The view itself seems to be clean .(I had a muscollimated binoviewer before that showed two jupiters, nothing like this here.

My question might sound silly but I never really used binoculars, and the view in my CZJ Dekarem is so wide that its hard to see the field stop.

Does this refer to the Leica Trinovid? That should be crisp and round. A single circle. Collimation problem, maybe?

BTW, I bet a lot of people would really like to hear about your experiences with the Leica ASPH 17.8-8.9 EP. That should be a cracking good one, but few people have one.

Yes it's the trinovids. I received them new this week and tested them only quickly. As said the image seems to be ok but the field stops look odd. At first I thought they are a circle but then they looked like a 8. Could it be my eyes :)

Got the Leica zoom but still have to sort a tripod to test. Maybe I should just by one, but after sourcing everything s/h I try to get a good used Berlebach as well. Wanted to observe in the mean time more with Bino's but this doesn't seem to work out.

Update: the field stops in my CZJ seems to be out as well ( have to look hard down as the fob is large. Looking straight through the trinovid, the field stops seems ok, only when I look down the are sometimes out. Maybe it has really more to do with me than the bino.

Have to write a short comparison, the difference between the two Bino's is amazing, don't think there is a going back :)

If you concentrate too much on looking at the field stops, because they are effectively nearer than the object you are looking at, your eyes will go slightly crossed giving the figure 8 appearance you mention. I f you relax your eyes and just gaze at the view the effect should disappear, I find it varies with different models. :smiley:

Archived