NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flats and Lights Orientation and issues

Mt flats show some of the smudges and dust bunnys that shwo upon my lights and in the same place. But for some reason, DSS is not removing them from the image. I notice sometimes that when looking at the images in Windows (in viewer) sometimes the pictures are portrait and the flats are landscape.....???? Can DSS auto rotate the pictures to attempt to line them up?

My lights are coming in nicely. But I have smudges and marks from the sensor on my final images (lights, darks, flast and BIAS all used) that the flats are not removing properly. It is spoiling my images. Maybe my flats are not exposed enough - 1/3 second with my T shirt iPad method?

Guidance/thoughts/theories welcome please?

Rgds, Steve

DPP = Digital photo professional. You should have got it on the disc with your camera.

Every camera has the ability to change from landscape to portrait as you rotate the camera. Assuming you are in landscape orientation and you rotate the camera slowly, it will continue to save images in landscape until you reach a certain point, (maybe 45 degrees) and then it starts saving in portrait.

As you move your rig around the skies, or even track the same target, at some point the camera may pass the rotational angle at which it changes mode. You can avoid this if you frame your pics before the image run so that the camera orientation doesn't change too much during the image run. You can only do this if you can actually rotate the camera in its mount.

Maybe not every camera, but all the ones that I use.

Thanks Allan, I will check into this, it sounds a very plausible idea of what is going wrong. Of course, regarding DPP, yes I have that software. Never thought of that ! :)

Been out tonight on Jupiter so will look into it when next cloudy night comes.

Maybe I should clarify that the camera probably doesn't save the pics in portrait mode, rather it applies the camera orientation to the pics when you download them, so that you don't get lots of sideways images like people post on facebook because they don't know how to rotate them after the fact.

ONe thing to make sure as well is that you have the flats exsposed enough. Make sure the histogram peak is right in the middle. If you dont then most processing programs will not successfully remove your imaging defects

Clear Skies

Paul

Archived