Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do I need anything more for my DSLR?

stem1989

Hi there,

I'm hoping somebody can help :). I have recently got a Mak-cass 127 f/11.8 on a synscan goto AZ mount and an 80mm f/5 short tube refractor on an dual axis driven EQ3-2 mount so I can see a range of different objects. AP on a budget basically for now! I have a webcam which is great for planetary on the mak but I want to sort my DSLR out for the 80mm short tube, I have bought a T ring adapter and T ring for my canon EOS 400d as well as a remote for the shutter. Do I need anything else? images I see online of similar set ups show 6 inch extensions and numerous other bits and bobs, alot more complex than what I have, also I'm sorry if I sound thick but how do I magnify what my DSLR can see? is there a special eye piece that goes between the scope and the camera?

Thanks in advance!

I think most people use a t-threaded Barlow lens to attach straight to the t-ring for magnifying what the dslr or ccd can see, I think the extension tubes are used to get focous as some scopes can't focus properly when a camera is attached but don't quote me on that lol as im still only a beginner to astrophotography myself. If your planning on using your dslr on the 80mm I don't think you will need one and should ready to go with the t-ring and adapter

Also if you haven't got it already, I would highly recommend the book making every photon count, from Flo ( first light optics ) as it will help with everything from equipment, to processing your images, bit of a dso imagers bible lol and is written by Steve one of the members on this site And could save you alot of money in the long run

Thanks for the help guys, I bought an extension piece to help with focusing and I managed to get hold of an 8-24mm zoom lens for less than half price on ebay and its worked beautifully last night very happy with it, pictures to follow!

:D

Archived