NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Largest scopes on a CG-4 Omni mount?

Just wondering what the general advice would be, what would be the longest refractor, reflector, or SCT that one would sensibly mount on a CG-4 Omni (with motor drive)?

Vibration and motor strain are my main concerns, I may wish to investigate photography but visual is my main bag at the moment. I am looking for it to be a more portable and faster configuration than my NEQ6 / 8SE. If the OTA comes with a case, so much the better, although I could probably put an SCT in a Really Useful box with the provided foam packing (as I know proper SCT cases can be vastly expensive).

I think the CG4 is at it's limit for visual observing with the Omni 120 refractor so I guess that answers the question regarding refractors. For a newtonian I reckon a 6" F/5 would be OK but I reckon the 6" F/8 would be too much (the tube is physically too long). For compound scopes like SCT's and Mak-Cassegrains I reckon 6" is again around the limit. I'd like to suggest an 8" SCT but I'm really not sure the CG4 would hold it steady enough so I'll stop at 6".

For DSO's aperture is always the most important factor. From a dark sky site I've seen some great views of galaxies with a 6" F/5 newtonian so I'd go for that and ideally on a simple alt-azimuth mount like the Skywatcher AZ-4.

Good advice here John , I agree that a 6 inch f/5 would be the best all round scope for this mount .

I had on a few years ago with the C102 refractor f/10 on it and it was a great set up , awsome lunar/planetary views , but any 6 inch that I put it against on deep sky trounced imy 4 inch with ease , but the opposite occured when the 6 inch f/5 tried high power lunar views , the 102 beat it hands down .

so these mounts will handle bothe easily , so now its time fot you to think about what your fancy , deep sky or lunar/planetry ?

If I had this mount ,,, I would get both OTA's ???

These 2 are about the max ,, except for a 127mm MAK ??? ...

Sorry .

Brian.

Good advice, thank you. I already have a very good SCT so not too fussed about downgrading to a smaller one for the CG-4, I may indeed end up owning a refractor and a reflector to go on the CG-4 (and NEQ6, perhaps), but for now the 6" reflector is looking like the one to go for next.

• 8 months later...

I know this is a fairly old thread but it's on the same topic.

I've owned a 150P for a while now and it works really nicely on the Omni CG-4 mount, the set up is easy for me to carry outside and is relatively quick to get going with. Recently I have been mulling over the C6 SCT but an unexpected price jump made me think twice about it. Now I'm wondering about the Evostar 100ED DS-Pro Outfit, comes with everything required and a proper custom case too, sounds like it should be an excellent scope for planetary and lunar (apochromatic so hopefully little to no colour fringing, and sharper than the 150P at high magnification). The 120 is probably too much for the CG-4, and it's a lot more money than the 100. The 100ED would also match my 150P livery!

I had looked at the Equinox Pro 100 but it seems like it's 90% the exact same scope, someone mentioned it has a better focuser and a retractable dew shield, I have a WO 2" diagonal already, would I really be missing much by not going for this scope? I shall have to ask FLO for the current price on it, I have all of the accessories required so nothing more to buy.

Could I do much better on the CG-4 for planetary / lunar?

I am sure someone will mention the Skymax 127. I had one myself but didn't get on with it. A 100ED would be great I reckon.

Yeah, the SCT comes with its own problems.. mainly dew, though perhaps not too much of a problem at that size. I already have an 8SE, just want to try a good quality refractor.

An ED120 would probably be OK on a CG4 equipped with a steel tripod, for visual work. It's somewhat lighter and more compact than the achromatic 120 F/8.3's

If you can run to one, the Vixen 115S would also be OK - they are surprisingly light and easy to handle.

I know this is a fairly old thread but it's on the same topic.

I've owned a 150P for a while now and it works really nicely on the Omni CG-4 mount, the set up is easy for me to carry outside and is relatively quick to get going with. Recently I have been mulling over the C6 SCT but an unexpected price jump made me think twice about it. Now I'm wondering about the Evostar 100ED DS-Pro Outfit, comes with everything required and a proper custom case too, sounds like it should be an excellent scope for planetary and lunar (apochromatic so hopefully little to no colour fringing, and sharper than the 150P at high magnification). The 120 is probably too much for the CG-4, and it's a lot more money than the 100. The 100ED would also match my 150P livery!

I had looked at the Equinox Pro 100 but it seems like it's 90% the exact same scope, someone mentioned it has a better focuser and a retractable dew shield, I have a WO 2" diagonal already, would I really be missing much by not going for this scope? I shall have to ask FLO for the current price on it, I have all of the accessories required so nothing more to buy.

Could I do much better on the CG-4 for planetary / lunar?

The TAL 100RS and Lyra 4" F/11 both have good reviews, good price too although they are both achromats (albeit good achromats)

Archived