Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Apos - how do they compare?

Whether having two scopes in a bino configuration has any perceptible effect on apparent brightness is a moot point and complicated. Doubling the optical surface area in a single instrument has a clear effect. Doubling up two scopes does not seem to have anything like that effect, but can be 'nice' for other reasons, notably the impression of three dimensionality, though it can only be an impression.

When you close one eye the view in the other one does not get dimmer.

This is all very strange!

Olly

I wonder if biology plays a role Olly, i.e. the brain having an easier time of things processing the matching signals from both eyes apposed to each eye receiving different signals like when you use one eye and cover the other?

I must say that the 20x80 Helios bins gave a brighter view of M31 than my 150p which surpised me a bit, also I saw more nebulosity in M42 with the 20x80's than with my ED80!

I can only think its the brain having dual access to the same signal making the views better to at least me anyway? Its also nice and comfy and immersive viewing with both eyes plus the fake 3D like you say:)

A binoviewer on a big scope would be easier though I guess:D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived