NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter,Callisto,Ganymede from the 5th

astromerlin

I've not posted in a while but I had a chance to get out last night to image.

The seeing seemed good but there was alot of cloud/mist passing over dimming the capture session.

I've been trying to increase image scale as well as trying the new software everyone seems to be using now.

Using my SPC880/900 with a 3x barlow, I set the webcam as far out from the barlow as I could to increase image scale.

2000 avi was processed in PIPP and AutoStakkert with 1.5x drizzle and then used wavelets in Registax 5.1

post-3186-0-82271900-1354824346_thumb.jp

Thanks for the comments, I'm wondering how far I can increase the distance between the webcam and barlow as the increase in image scale really helps the wavelets tease out detail.

I'll turn up some extension tubes of varying lengths for the next clear sky.

As a random datapoint, with my 127 Mak and SPC900 I have a Skywatcher kit barlow with the lenses removed between my 2.5x barlow and the camera which I think brings the focal ratio up to about f/35. I've just measured it and the extension is 40mm.

James

As a random datapoint, with my 127 Mak and SPC900 I have a Skywatcher kit barlow with the lenses removed between my 2.5x barlow and the camera which I think brings the focal ratio up to about f/35. I've just measured it and the extension is 40mm.

James

Thanks for the info James, I've just measured the extra distance I had the webcam pulled out which is 14mm, I might be able double that distance but the webcam settings were pretty high, gain at 70 and shutter was at 33 i think.

I did try a while ago doubling up the 3x with a 2.5x but the resulting image was very dim and fuzzy with cam settings maxed out.

Looks like a clearish night tonight so I'll have a chance to do more testing.

Archived