Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hyperion vs TMB Planetary in an ED80

I'm looking to rationalise my eyepiece collection for use in my ED80.

Currently I own about a dozen EPs of various types and I'm looking to reduce this to 3 (maybe 4) reasonable quality eyepieces in my most used focal lengths.

I'm looking at focal lengths around 5mm, 8mm and something in the 13-17mm range.

I'm currently considering the TMB Planetary & Baader Hyperions for reasons of cost and eye relief.

The question is which would provide the best views for lunar and planetary use (at 5 and 8mm) and what would you go for in the longer fl range?

And are there other EPs or focal lengths that I should also be considering?

All input would be greatly appreciated!

Gordon, sorry I should've been a bit clearer: I already have several Televue Plossls, Celestron Ultimas and various Orthos but although I don't wear glasses to observe, I find myself needing a bit more eye relief these days!

I've recently acquired a Tele Vue 3-6mm Nager zoom. It performs extremely well in both my F6.5 102 ED refractor and my 10inch F4.7 dobsonian. They are not cheap but the way I figure it they take the place of 4 eyepieces which makes the cost much more reasonable. The field of view is 50 degrees throughout the zoom range and the eyerelief is 10mm which is significantly better than an equivilent fixed focal length plossls.

John

John, the 3-6 is an excellent eyepiece for planetary work, really really clear. The ability to "tune" the magnification to the seeing works very well for me. In my ED80 the 3-6 nagler performed exceptionally well giving 200-300x mag, perfect for planetary (although the aperture is a little low for high resolution).

DeeJay, If you can afford it, the 11mm T6 is a cracking eyepiece with good ER. A little cheaper are the radians, although I can only comment on the 4mm not having owned any of the others. The 4mm in my ED100 gave breathtaking views of saturn at 225x

Unfortunatly I can't comment on the Hyperions (I only own the zoom) or the TMB's (never seen one)

I have recently acquired a 9mm Burgess/TMB Planetary, and I already own a 5mm Baader Genuine Ortho. I'm keen to give these two a workout on the Moon and anything else that I can be bothered to get up early for :D

I'll make sure I post my impressions here. Did get a chance to look at Venus very quickly with the TMB two days ago and was mightily impressed. Having said that, the views of the Moon through the Ortho are so crisp and contrasty that you just don't want to adulterate it with any more glass in the way (Barlows etc). Should be an interesting comparison?

Tony

DeeJay, If you can afford it, the 11mm T6 is a cracking eyepiece with good ER.

There's one on Astro Buy & Sell at the moment for just £125 delivered :shock: - an absolute bargain IMHO. If I did not already own the 13mm and 9mm T6's I would snap that one up.

John

Archived