Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Converter to Update Firmware on Handset

lifeonmars

Hello everybody more help needed regarding updating Skywatcher Synscan handset to latest firmware from 3.01 to 3.27,I purchased a Maplins USB serial converter (Prolific) and I cannot get it to regonize the handset.I have installed the drivers and checked they are there in my laptop everything seems fine in that department.I follow the update procedure as per the skywatcher website to the letterI get the Firmware loader box up but when I click on HC_Version I just get a message on the handset saying `No Link to M.C. stand alone mode.

now I am totally stuck is it the handset or cables or USB Converter.I have read around and it seems like some of these usb serial converters are not up to the job.I am running Vista 64 bit and it meets the system requirements of the one i have bought.

Anyone have any ideas ,anyone had problems with these USB converters and Which ones have you used with success.all help Greatly aprreciated!!!!

Here's are quick rundown on updating the firmware :

1. Connect usb/serial adapter to computer and HC.

2. Hoid down buttons 0 and 8 on the handset and plug in the power supply. The handset will now go into firmware update mode, if you don't hold down 0 and 8 the HC will start up normally and because it is not connected to a mount will go into stand alone mode.

3. Open up the firmware uploader program on your computer and browse for the HC firmware .ssf file.

4. Tick the option to auto detect the com port and the the update button.

The HC should now start to be updated with the new firmware.

Thanks for that Cornelius so when you hold the 8 and the 0 down you keep them held down till the screen shows its gone into update mode then you release the buttons,but it sounds like I am trying to update it in the wrong mode what a plonker i am i will give that another try .I cant believe how much I have messed about with this, blaming the leads etc ,everything but myself.Very much appreciated!!

Archived