Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter at opposition 2012

m12_shakes

Apologies if there's another thread like this, but I couldn't find it.

Anyhow, any good views/pics from where you are?

I've been looking up at the sky throughout the evening/night and all I got was cloud! I was rather looking forward to it too... :(

Regards,

m12

I had my best views ever tonight. Got the equatorial bands clear as day. Io,Ganymede and Europa in all their splendour too. A little disappointed I couldn't see the red spot though. But I'll settle for the clarity! :-)

Good views here until around 11:30 when some hazy clouds came across. The Great Red Spot was on the central meridian of the planet at 21:21 hrs this evening and nice and clear in the 4" Vixen refractor I had out tonight. Saw some nice belt / zone detail too including some interesting interaction between the GRS and the SEB. The GRS seems to have a long thin dark belt that flows off it's southern edge and trails across the disk behind it, to the S of the SEB.

The past week or two have shown some excellent views of the giant planet - some of the best I can recall for some years :smiley:

Archived