Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

'4am' its time to play!

rob7

Been working hard recently so I haven't contributed much to this great site, since I joined a while back. But hey, the harder you work the more astronomy toys you can buy.. Just aquired a brand new Celestron C6 on a cg5 mount wth goto from FLO and and a Revelation 12" dob which I bought second hand, [6 hour round trip to fetch!!!]. I already owned a Revelation 8" dob, but now I've got these new scopes I'll sadly be having to let that one go soon. Anyway's what with the recent 'sky fog' what's been hanging around for days I hadn't got to properly have a go with either of the scopes, until the other night where I happened to fall asleep on my sofa...I woke about 4am in the morning, popped my head out the back door to be greeted by a clear sky and Venus shinning merily away. Needless to say, both scopes were out of the shed within minutes. Started to play with my C6 first and luckily I had Venus, Saturn and the moon to aim at. Bearing in mind I'm a beginner astronomer these objects were very suitable for me to decide wether I would be happy with my purchases. Even though I was having a battle with 'Dew', it was observing the moon that made me think I need'nt of worried. Using various revelation eyepieces all I can say is the image was really 'clean', crystal like. I had a Skywatcher ST120 refractor a little while back which I had to send back to the shop for 'technical reasons', but from my humble opinion the quality of the image with the C6 was somewhat better than the ST120. Plus its nice not to have the 'ca' that you get with the ST. So for me at least, optically the C6 will do the job just fine. What with the rock solid CG5 mount, goto and portable enough to take away with me on camping trips, I'm pretty sure I've future proofed myself for the forseeable! I did'nt have a lot of time before the sun shown it's hat, so I wanted a quick go with the 12" dob. THE MOON-750X MAG'-DETAILED BRIGHT IMAGE-WOW!! I was always happy with my 8" revelation, but my new big brother revelation was amazing. I've must have read so many times about the limted mag' you can use in the uk and the more mag' the more unpleasant the object becomes due to the image getting darker. Well I used a revelation ed 2x barlow and a 'supermarket' 4mm eyepiece just to push the scope. By my maths thats 750x in a 1500mm scope. 'NOT BAD I THOUGHT!!! After tinkering with both scopes for a short but impressive time, the sun rose and I went back inside for a cup of coffee feeling quite smug with my new toys..

Rob7.

Thanks Gaz. Hopefully owning a F5 and a F10 will be a good all rounder package..Or until I'm allowed by the big boss indoors to own as many scopes as you., or are the scopes you've listed , scopes you've had over time?

I can justify nearly all of them... :D

The Dob is the biggest mirror I could afford for DSOs, the 10" SCT is the biggest mirror I can afford to mount for tracking DSOs, the 15" Mak is the best planetary/ Lunar scope I can afford, the 150mm f5 refractor is a good compact grab'n'go scope for quick looks and the 100mm f5 refractor is portable enough to take to work on nightshifts when time allows.

I can't really justify the 127mm Mak and the 8" Newt, I'll either keep the Newt or the 150mm frac as my 'workhorse' scope when I get around to testing the two side by side.

With the exception of the 7" Mak all the scopes are secondhand, if and when I decide to sell I won't loose any money and will have had the oppurtunity to test a few different types of scopes....well thats my excuse anyway!! :lol:

Archived