Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Changing eq5 / cg5 grease / lubricant. Is it worth it?

t1bbbst3r

http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/

Found this link, its a guide on de / re-greasing the internal parts of cg5/eq5 mounts. While im waiting for a part to arrive for my tracking system, when theres a rainy day, was wondering if it theres any benefits to changing to some lithium grease opposed to staying with that brown stuff that runs out over your fingers. The dec. axis is a little stiff anyway, but has anybody else with either an eq5/ cg5 done a re-grease and found it helpfull? Am just curiouse at the moment but would deffinately give it a go if it comes recommended through somebodys own experience, for sure!

Thanks!

Though I haven't done it (yet) to my EQ5 I'd say it would be worth it. From what I've seen of the "lubricant" used on my mount it seems way too sticky, so I hope to one day strip everything down as per the tutorial and use Super-lube to re-grease (sparingly). A grease/lubricant that's too viscose is going to make the RA/Dec motors work harder which, in turn, will consume more power from your battery/power tankl

http://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Grease-Syncolon-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI

That link up thar is superlube, its considered the best lube cor mounts.I prefer TF2 which is a lithium/teflon mix.

Opnions differ on the relative metits of each.

Some people say TF2 goes chalky and seperates but I have not found that to be the case.

CG5 is not hard to strip. I am restoring one at the moment formy own amusement. The one I am working on is a swine but thats because someone left it behind a garden shed for 5 years. Poor little thing is in a bit of a state but with some TLC, a complete rebuild amd a few spares it will soon be working better than ever.

Assuming I can source some spares it will feature in a mount strip down guide on my site to go with the HEQ5 and EQ6 guides.

yes I lnow the Astronomy Boy one is standard text on this mount but a few more pictures, and a second guide with perhaps a different approach can only help the community at large.

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000XBH9HI

That link up thar is superlube, its considered the best lube cor mounts.I prefer TF2 which is a lithium/teflon mix.

Opnions differ on the relative metits of each.

Some people say TF2 goes chalky and seperates but I have not found that to be the case.

CG5 is not hard to strip. I am restoring one at the moment formy own amusement. The one I am working on is a swine but thats because someone left it behind a garden shed for 5 years. Poor little thing is in a bit of a state but with some TLC, a complete rebuild amd a few spares it will soon be working better than ever.

Assuming I can source some spares it will feature in a mount strip down guide on my site to go with the HEQ5 and EQ6 guides.

yes I lnow the Astronomy Boy one is standard text on this mount but a few more pictures, and a second guide with perhaps a different approach can only help the community at large.

ok, thats me conviced. Check this link out though, for the same product on amazon uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Technology-LOCTITE-2105011-SUPER-LUBE/dp/B007YGZL8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354210474&sr=8-1

Dont think that because its locktite its worth the extra 17£, ill look to get some for a fiver. Oh, noticed i read your beginner's telescope guide recently, was very interesting........ Ended up with a sct. in the end!

Yes ....sorry, should have said that link K gave was only an example of the product and you can most likely source it cheaper.

The superlube is muchly liked by our American cousins as it will work across a massive temperature range and obviously if your in North Dakota you might need a grease that runs down to low temperatures.

I always swear by lithium grease on the basis my old pushbike was left out in all weathers for years and the lith grease on that was perfectly dine after about 10 years of living in Portsmouth where a winter shower can rot a car before your very eyes :)

must be all the salt in the air. Ha, crazy, though, how a 7$ tube of grease in the US gets basically re-branded here and sold for over 20£. Have gone for the 2£.50 option, am guessing its still going to be a lot better than the standard stuff which seems a bit watery and everything. I like taking things apart anyway hahaha...........

I got my superlube from http://www.align-trex.co.uk/super-lube-synthetic-grease-with-ptfe-12g-tube-p-805.html'>Here - a much more reasonable price. It's only a small tube but you don't need a great deal anyway,

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Archived