Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

company questions

I live in China and wonder if Skywatcher scopes are the models released in the USA or UK the same as the models released here in China?

I really don't know but I'm sure by checking out what is on the market in China and then having a quick look at some retail sites in the States or UK will probably bring you closer to an answer. If the brand name is different, have a look out for Synta Optics which is effectively the parent compant of Sky-Watcher.

true for example if you look at the celestron 130 eq here in china and in the states, its the same (LOOKING) model but is it really?

i am looking at markets here and keep coming up to either a 130 or 150 eq but neither are what i want for expanding in the future.

im tired of just viewing. I do nothing but watch the sky with my small binoculars(which makes me prefer short tubes for viewing(they give larger view right??)).

well its a skywatcher or celestron. then i'll have to save for the next purchase . or ill wait like i have...not a good idea.

bored here in china.

Unless someone has tried and tested the scopes and mirrors being offered in the different parts of the world then it's really not going to be possible to say whether they are exactly the same.

If the scopes look the same, I would have thought it probable that they are the same. Skywatcher scopes are all made in China and it seems doubtful to me that they would have production runs for the home market that are different from the ones made for export but you never know.

I guess you could actually contact Skywatcher and ask them, or one of their dealers in China perhaps ?

If you can read and write Chinese I think it would be best to post this question in a Chinese forum. This is a very country specific question and local astronomer will probably know a lot more about this.

People there call Skywatcher by Synta's own Chinese name (信达) rather than 'Skywatcher'.

It's unlikely the home market SW scope is any different from the European ones. It doesn't make any sense to set up two separate production lines, and it's not like Synta do any QC on the mirror that would allow them to cherry pick optics for the oversea market. If you are worried about Synta selling second rate optics in the mainland, you can always buy from dealers in Hong Kong or Taiwan.

PS. I did a bit more reading on Synta products in China and apparently they are more focused in the export market. As such their stuff doesn't seems to be as popular as other Chinese manufacturers' in the home market.

i have joined a chinese astro bbs and am waiting for feedback on this.

many companies will sell models of the same to different countries but a lot of times things are localized and this sometimes leads to parts being made cheaper. but yea skywatcher is built here.

I wish I could find those factories. I would just go direct.

its amazing that when I went to several shops, including the planetarium, that they wanted an extra 1,000 rmb for a scope which I can pick up online or at a store.

but that's China. they do business this way, ask for more, and settle later.

being a foreigner in china is a target for this however, they do it to each other here as well. So its not selective business ethics. its how it goes here.

gotta know how to bargain

well i am still thinking a skywatcher 150 however, a short tube is starting to look great because of portability. however, a question maybe off beat

how can a short tube have such a long focal length? Is it because they use more mirrors?

Mirrors and glass can be figured for different focal lengths depending on how much and what type of curve is put into them. Glass can also be figured for colour correction, and chromatic aberration, and is sometimes done using more than one lens. You can test this using two hand held magnifying glases (or one if you wear spectacles) - try and get a sharp focus on a small object like a coin.

Reflectors like Cassegraines (Sct or Mak) increase the focal length by bouncing the light path up and down the tube using two or more mirrors figured in syncronisation with each other. So you can get a long focal length in a short tube. The tube merely encapsulates the focal length chosen at manufacture. Hth :)

.....well i am still thinking a skywatcher 150 however, a short tube is starting to look great because of portability. however, a question maybe off beat

how can a short tube have such a long focal length? Is it because they use more mirrors?

Which Skywatcher 150 are you thinking of ?

They do two 150 refractors, at least two 150 newtonians and a 150 maksutov-cassegrain.

The last will have the shortest tube.

Here is the Synta website by the way - they own and make the Skywatcher branded scopes, amongst others:

http://synta.en.gongchang.com/about

some very useful data guys thanks.

Sorry for the delay. yesterday i came down with a serious flu. wow. i haven't been sick like that for 10 years.

i'll save you guys the gory details :p

much better now but will remain in bed today and maybe even tomorrow.

funny thing is since I slept most of yesterday i woke up in the middle of the night and stayed up. did not go out but did venture into the yard to have a look at Venus before sunrise. so at least something good came out of all that! haha

back to scopes

Bosma is popular here and I was asked by a star club member if I was interested. I think that I would have to go actually see one first.

since my budget was relatively low, I put my purchase on hold as I was seeking data from SGL and here online with some groups. whilst searching online and reviewing AND

more importantly, I had to do some more reading up because to me the telescope is still an odd tool. I haven't used one but after reading up I got some feedback as well and seems its best for me to think some more because I do not have a car and portability is going to be an issue.

therefore I started looking at the short tube stuff. is that ETX125 a good scope? Seems.

i had leaning towards reflectors as the price range is affordable. But I am always questioning everything. therefore I sit here with no scope

but its always good to make the best informed decisions because I have a 4.5 reflector back in chicago(Ive said this in other posts)

and was going to bring it back with me but i decided that I am tired of carrying stuff back to china from the states.

I will just buy a new one.

ps. I plan to contact several scope companies and ask them about releases in China vs. USA

thanks guys

Clear Skies!!

Archived