NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light on my Celestron C8

lhuchison

post-22122-0-24395500-1353758234_thumb.jpost-22122-0-92093700-1353758280_thumb.j

I,ve finally managed to get out with my new Celestron C8

i've mounted it on my EQ5 and it sits perfectly.

I upgraded the diagonal to a Williams optics 2inch dielectric which has made a difference .

the views of jupiter with this fitted were amazing , maybe it was just a better seeing night, but even the moon with

my 18mm was way better. Maybe my stock Celestron was particularly bad?

I mounted my Telrad and splashed out on the dew/ mirror attachment, which helps when viewing vertically.

I found the stock finder surprisingly ok, i was going to replace it but its very lightweight with good bright views.

I can only compare the C8 with my SW200P and Tal100RS so i would have to say , i am impressed .

Its much easier to carry around and the weight seems to work well with the EQ5.

Views of the Orion nebula and the ring were an improvement on the 200p, the ring especially , was clearer. My 200p is collimated well and i used the same optics.

Focusing felt different as you move the primary mirror and i could detect a slight shift? but nothing to bother me.

All in all , i,m pleased i made the move to the C8, jack of all trades but master of none? not so sure. it seems to

perform faultlessly .

I have the same OTA & Diagonal and I'm awaiting delivery of an 18mm X-Cel-LX - :grin:

I agree with your findings the C8 is a great performer on many targets. I get great views of M42 Orion Nebula and of course the planets - Enjoy

Nice review, Jupiter and the moon where both excellent to look at last night, and the GRS clearly visible. I enjoy looking at open clusters in mine, one of my favourite is M37. Whilst the stock focuser is fine, I replaced this with a starlight feathertouch micro focuser producing, pin sharp images.

Archived