NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Basic question and what bins?

kirkster501

With the bigger Astro bins like the Apollos etc do they give a true, upright image? They don't do an inverted images like an astro telescope? Similarly, they give a correct left-right image?

My dad is after a good pair of them 10x70s or soemthing like that. He is interested in wide field views of the sky and the moon but also terrestrial viewing. He has a budget of about £700 or so, maybe a bit more. Anyone recommend a pair of bins and a decent tripod and bracket for that sum please? He was going to get a telescope but the "upside-downess" does not appeal to him.

Many thanks, Steve

Steve

Yes, you'll get correct image, left/right as well. And for £700 I think the choice would be between Apollo 15x70 of Fuji 16x70. [There's one on ABS at the mo]

Both quite heavy for handholding, but plenty of tripods with fluid head and crankable height available, manfrotto/Slik. Consider a monopod /trigger grip for portability.

If possible, try before you buy, not always easy i know but eye relief/ergonomics are very personal, does he wear specs etc.

But with that budget, you'll get something good.

Cheers

Duncan

Or you could look out for some IS bins, never used them myself but wouldn't mind a try. I don't think they go over 50mm objectives but not having to mount them is a big plus.

Again theres a pair on ABS [Canon 10x42] at the mo.

They are expensive new tho' for 50mm.

Thanks for the input Duncan.

I have read rave reviews about the 15x70 Helios Apollo on the Horizon 8115 Tripod. I just wonder if I need to buy a L bracket for them or this is included with the bins. Indeed, is a L bracket the way to go? Input from the bin community welcomed.

I am almost certainly going to buy these for myself first so I have a portable observing system when I am astro photoing... If my dad likes them he can buy the same or get the 15x85. I have warned him though that 85mm bins will be big....

Anyone got any opinions about going for the 10.5 x 70 or the 15 x 70? Pros and cons?

Kindest regards, Steve

Steve

You would have to buy a bracket but they're only £10/15, a metal one for the Apollos. I had an 8115 and while it was certainly ok and did the job with 20x80 and 25x100, i wouldn't be in a hurry to get another one.

As Michael says, the P-Mount is really the way to go but if you want portable, maybe spend a bit more and get a Manfrotto or Slik or a tall monopod with a trigger grip ball head, as I think this will get you nearer the Zenith than the 8115.

Again, it's a personal thing, as to what is best, and the 10x70 will give you a slightly wider field, but you may want the higher mag of the 15x70 for certain things.

It's probably why people end up owning more than one pair and in some cases stacks of pairs.

But if you were to have just one portable pair then a quality 15x70 really hits a sweet spot all round.

I endorse what Michael says about the 10.5x70 vs the 15x70. I find it difficult to think of anything astronomical use where the 10.5x70 may be preferable. You also need to be aware that not all L-brackets will fit the Helios Apollo. The mounting bush is slightly recessed between the prism housings so whilst this one will fit, the larger of these three will not. (I use the former, and find it excellent for the purpose.)

For a budget of £700 I would I would strongly recommend the Canon IS 15x50 rather than any non-IS 15x70's, particularly if your Dad wants to use them for daytime viewing as well as stargazing. A non stabilised binocular at that magnification should always be mounted i.m.o.h. - you will struggle to obtain a clear image by hand holding a 15x70 binocular, plus the convenience of not having to tripod mount binoculars during the daytime should not be underestimated.

I have both Canon 15x50 IS and parallelogram mounted Fujinon 16x70 FMT SX binoculars (considered to be one of the best performing binoculars of this size), by the way. Both provide excellent widefield stellar views, however the Canon optics win hands down for daytime observing - they are very sharp and have considerably less chromatic aberration than the Fujis or any other 15/16x70 I have used. Both are equally good for stargazing; the Fujis excel in dark skies, however the Canons provide better contrast in moderate light pollution. Consequently the 20mm difference in aperture is not as evident as one might think.

Not everyone copes well with IS, so read the reviews first. Personally though, given the choice, I would go for the Canon IS.

Archived