NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASCOM alignment trouble

Daniel-K

for the past two sessions in the obsy im having issues with alignment with ascom i will do a 6 star alignment procedure after the 3rd star the rest are very close to the centre of chip on the dslr so a lil tweeking and there in the center so i sync in CDC on every star now after the 6th i goto my object and boom no were to be seen infact not even close so i then goto a star i have just aligned on and thats off too. but how because i have just aligned on the darn thing? so now i find my self having to goto a satr close to my object and goto the DSO and hey presto it works, any ideas guys

thanks

Dan

so now i find my self having to goto a satr close to my object and goto the DSO and hey presto it works, any ideas guys

thanks

Dan

i think you will find thats how most people do it. why would you want to do a 6 star alignment when one star sync and a goto gets you there

admittedly i don't have an obsy so doing loads of alignment points is pointless (excuse the pun) as it all gets broken down once im finished, but i have been using eqmod for over 2 yrs and have always synced on 1 star near the target and then done a goto which has always got me on target

yes i'm sure the more you do the more accurate its meant to be but if 1 star works why do 6 ? seems a waste of time to me

as for why your not getting on target after doing 6 i don't know. do you use a reticlue with your capture program when centring the star ? have you tried clearing all your alignment points and trying again ?

I’m also having problems with CduC and Eqmod.

When I unpark the scope the recital in CduC shows that the scope is pointing completely at a different part of the sky that it should be pointing to.

So I move the scope and align to a bright known star and sync.

Everything then works for the whole session.

I then park to current position but the next night same problem.

I’ve cleared alignment point etc. but still same issue.

Not a real problem(lazy to sort it out), just a pain in the neck. I also only align to a single star.

for the past two sessions in the obsy im having issues with alignment with ascom i will do a 6 star alignment procedure after the 3rd star the rest are very close to the centre of chip on the dslr so a lil tweeking and there in the center so i sync in CDC on every star now after the 6th i goto my object and boom no were to be seen infact not even close so i then goto a star i have just aligned on and thats off too. but how because i have just aligned on the darn thing? so now i find my self having to goto a satr close to my object and goto the DSO and hey presto it works, any ideas guys

There are some things you can try.

First of all, make sure any previous sync data is cleared before aligning (two buttons to press for points and sync)

If you get bad pointing try switching to nearest star rather than n-point. If things get better in implies a duff point in the model.

When operation in n-point mode open up the points list editor. This shows you which 3 points are currently active in the correction algorithm - this can help idenify potentially rogue points. If the points span the meridian it might be a good idea to set the points filter to only consider those on the 'local' side.

Chris.

Why would you want to do a 6 star alignment when one star sync and a goto gets you there

Becaue one point doesn't give you all sky coverage. If you go to another target you will need to do another alignment and your 'one star' sync has immediately become two point alignment. Some folks choose to build up their alignment models as they visit targets, some with permamently sited mounts find it more convenient to spend time creating an all sky model they can use night after night - horses for courses.

Chris.

Archived