Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 last night - 3 stars?

deckardbr

Dear all,

I believe I managed to observe M42 last night from my living room :) It was 2am and I noticed orion coming up from my south window.

I definitely could see a nebula, the brightest (and biggest) I observed so far. In the middle of it, I noticed 3 stars brighter than the rest.

Is that accurate?

Thanks

Andrea

From your living room :D

Bit cold for you was it? I'm sure you are aware that observing through windows is not a good idea. The lack of optical glass will make views terrible. :)

In the centre of the Orion Nebula is an asterism known as the trapezium for pretty much the reason in the title. It's a trapezium. There are three stars in a line nearby. But not in the centre.

Seeing as you were observing from London through double glazing :D I would say that the Orion neb is just about the only neb that's bright enough to be able to be seen that way, so I would guess, that was it. ;)

Try taking the scope outside it is worth it. The views will be a big improvement.

Haha, I don't have a private garden so it was my best option to be safely inside :-).

...But the window was open so, I wasn't really warm and cozy or looking through glass!

I managed to take a picture of the stars with my iPhone via eyepiece projection:

M42 - 18/11/2012

So, are these the ones in the "middle" of M42 or near it? I must say I could see the nebula clearly, and it must have been M42 cause I can't imagine anything else being visible in such light pollution and .. indoors :-)

Thanks

The Trapezium group of stars lies at the heart of the Orion Nebula and comprises 4 brightish stars quite close together which form a trapeziod shape (hence it's name !) rather than a line. They are usually easy to see in all scopes from 60mm upwards but you may well not have been able to have seen them from your living room as it's really not a good way to view the night sky, even with the windows / doors open.

There are dimmer members of the Trapezium group which your scope is capable of showing but again not from inside the house I'm afraid.

If you can get the scope outside and view these objects they will look far better :smiley:

Archived