Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Operating EQ6 mount

Kenza

Ok here we go. I recently made a great leap from a Meade ETX mount to an EQ6 Syntrek mount. I am dumbfounded by some things and frankly tha manual is not so good. I have a couple of questions.

1) I figured out how to move the mount in azimuthal directions, but the altitude movement I just don't get. I have both adjustment T-bolts. What do I do to move it up and down?

2) The old ETX consumed batteries but I see here that EQ6 has cable connection. Do i need the recheargable Power Tank like this one ( http://www.astroshop.eu/power-supply/skywatcher-7-ah-rechargeable-power-tank/p,16095) or is there some other way?

3) Is one counterweight enough for an Equinox 120 or do I need to put both on?

Thanks!

Sometimes the altitude adjustment is very stiff. Also, the adjustment bolts bend SUPER EASY. Be very careful. See if you can nudge the head to the right latiude by hand then fine adjust with the bolts.

The powertanks sold by telescope suppliers are usually expensive. I'd pick up a jumpstarter for a car. THere are 17 and 19ah versions available for half the price of a telescope tank.

You might need both, I almost need two for my 6" newt.

If you need to adjust the mount's latitude you should always do this with the mount unloaded ie with no counterweights or mount attached. To raise the latitude firstly slacken the front bolt and then tighten the rear one. If the rear bolt does not raise the mount don't try to force it, the bolts do tend to bend easily. To lower the latitude slacken the rear bolt and the mount should come down against the bolt due to gravity.

Archived