NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Double stars in same FOV as NGC 185 in Cass.

I'm trying to find out more about what I think is a tight double star just to the NNE of the extended core of NGC 185 elliptical galaxy in Cassiopeia. I'd estimate it as about Mag 11-12 with a separation of (edited) 2 or 3 arcseconds, something like that. I'm just curious to its id tags and if it is a true binary or optical double.

If anyone has any info on double stars close to NGC 185 please do get in touch. Thanks.

What is your field of view in the eyepiece. How many arc seconds/minutes from the core do yo think the double is?

Based on the assumption that the stars are main sequence then at mag 11-12 they are going to be several hundred light years away so even a 2-3 arc second gap means they are probably an optical pair. They could be a true binary but it will be exceptionally difficult to prove.

I would investigate the SInbad or Aladin database as this has proper motions for stars down to 12th magnitude so may give a clue one way or another.

Cheers

Ian

http://stelledoppie....p?iddoppia=2546

This one seems the closest double I can find to NGC 185 from the Washington double star lists..Its next to one of the brighter triangle of stars that frames NGC 185 on the side towards NGC 147...

Both stars are about mag 12 so that sounds right..

I must check it out...Do a drawing for us..

Mark

Archived