Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The winter sky

greglloyd

So, after sitting down last night and spending the evening in front of the TV with a few glasses of wine it was time for bed. the time was around 12:30am and just before locking up the house I decided to open the back door and take a quick peak at the sky to see what the conditions were like.

I stepped out into the back garden and WOW, the sky was ablaze with the winter constellations. No dark adaption required, the sky was full of blazing stars. M42 was glowing brightly to the naked eye and the Andromeda Galaxy was almost directly overhead, slightly to the west and brilliantly clear to the naked eye. Taurus and the Pleiades where high and blazing brightly. We get good dark skies where I live but I don't know about the rest of you but I simply think the winter look so much more impressive than the summer sky, it's like a sky full of bright diamonds with so much to look at.

Got the Pentax 10x50's out, mounted them quickly on my camera tripod, and took a peek at a few objects before bed. The Andromeda galaxy completely filled the field of view from edge to edge with the best extended view I have seen of that galaxy yet (only got the binos about 4 months ago).

M42 looked spectacular. This was my first view of it with the new binos at a relatively high elevation and I was surprised at how much detail these binos were giving. Clam shell shape was very apparent with the two wings easily visible, and dark intrusion into the brightest portion of the nebula clearly visible. I did not expect such detail with the small aperture and low power, but again I am simply impressed with the view that these decent quality binos give (some of you may recall that I sold my 10" scope and now exclusively use binos for my observing).

Scanned over to M35 in Gemini and this cluster looked great. Well resolved and bright. The great thing with binos is that they make relatively large objects that (in my opinion) did not look so impressive in the large scope due to higher magnification look like DSO's again. M35 looks nice and dense in the binos but with resolved stars making it a nice sight.

Finally, I moved on to M36, M37, and M38 in Auriga. I've always liked these tight little clusters in the large scope - particularly M37. All three clusters looked well in the binos last night with M36 and M38 giving partial resolution and M37 looking more nebulous. It's nice just sweeping quickly between the three and comparing their relative shapes, brightness, and densities.

Final view was of Jupiter at high elevation in the sky with 3 of it's moons visible at the time, and then it was time to pack up and off to bed. A quick 30 minute observing session with maximum satisfaction. That's what I love about observing with binos.

Nice write-up, Greg. As a newcomer learning the sky I love bino viewing...I have one pair permanently mounted on a tripod. Great for an impulsive viewing session without all the faff of setting up the scope. I don't have as good a sky as you but there's still plenty for me to try and learn. Thanks for the objects in Auriga...Somewhere I haven't explored but now on my to-do list. Let's hope these clear skies are here to stay....I need continuation for the locations to sink in. A while back the weather enforced a four week delay and when I finally got outside everything looked so different!

Good report Greg, sometimes the best sessions are unplanned, I keep a pair of LIDL 10 x 50s permanently in the car just in case I'm out and about and get the chance of a quick scout around the sky - oh and if I get a quiet spell on my nightshift :)

Archived