NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the space shuttle look like through scopes?

Manok101

I was bored at work the other day and was thinking that if an alien craft of some kind did fly by and I happened to see it I'd probably never notice as it'd probably look like the space shuttle, and I've never gotten to see the space shuttle, scoped or otherwise, so that brought about the question, could you tell it was the space shuttle you saw and not say the ISS? Please remember I was bored :).

In a moderate sized scope (8"and above), each would look very small though you could make out their shapes if your scope was set up for proper tracking or let it pass through your field of view on HP (very tricky but possible).

The two below links will give you an idea of what you would see. Notice their size compared to the Sun, Moon and Saturn.

SHUTTLE AND ISS

ISS

Of course, an alien spaceship would no doubt be much larger than our spacecraft and show up much easier. Just in case, let us know when/if you spot one :eek:

As Mr Q says, it was small, but you could make out details / shape. I was able to track it manually using an 8 inch Dob many years ago, by positioning the scope a few degrees in front of the approaching shuttle and then as it entered the field of the EP I was able to keep it in there by hand. I do the same now with my 4 inch Alt Az mounted Apo refractor (at ~100x) on the ISS.

In a moderate sized scope (8"and above), each would look very small though you could make out their shapes if your scope was set up for proper tracking or let it pass through your field of view on HP (very tricky but possible).

The two below links will give you an idea of what you would see. Notice their size compared to the Sun, Moon and Saturn.

SHUTTLE AND ISS

ISS

Of course, an alien spaceship would no doubt be much larger than our spacecraft and show up much easier. Just in case, let us know when/if you spot one :eek:

That Shutttle and ISS is amazing, puts us in perspective, they look tiny.......and the Sun is 93,000,000 miles more distant, really makes you think :ohmy:

Matthew - That's quite a skill you developed. When I was 12 and got my first scope (50mm refractor) I didn't know much about stargazing and ended spending a lot of time looking at small planes approaching a nearby airport. I used the same method as you and after a few days was able to track these fast planes with ease. That skill was never lost and I use it today following satellites, the shuttle and ISS . Youre' the first astronomer that I heard of using this neat skill. Glad someone else thinks like me :grin:

Archived