Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SCT focuser on mak.

Hello all,

I have just bought a skymax 180 mak and intend to fit a sct focuser ( I have the correct astrotec adaptor) but have come across a couple of articles online from sct owners which say that the increase in back focus means the aperture may be stopped down slightly with a resulting increase in central obstruction size.

Is this true? And would it effect a mak at f15? (most of the effected SCTs seem to be f10s)

Thanks for any help with this slightly dry technical question! :grin:

I have this set up and i think its well worth it, using the adaptor you have, i fitted a revelation dual speed, very nice :cool:

Hello Jules,

Yes, I have seen some pics of your setup. Very nice & the sort of thing I'm aiming at.

Is the 180 as good as people often say it is?

Yes i would say it is, they take a bit of "taming" but are well worth it, superb lunar and planetary scope, not shoddy on a lot of dso`s, but as i learnt they do need a sturdy mount, i just had to shell out on an HEQ5 that sits on a CG5 tripod (2" legs)

Yes i would say it is, they take a bit of "taming" but are well worth it, superb lunar and planetary scope, not shoddy on a lot of dso`s, but as i learnt they do need a sturdy mount, i just had to shell out on an HEQ5 that sits on a CG5 tripod (2" legs)

I have heard they take a bit of mounting but mine will be going on a GEM built for a 16'' newt so I should be ok!!

Hopefully first light will be next week sometime so will keep you posted.

Thanks.

Archived