SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

celestron power tank, charging

hey guys,

my first night out with my Dew controller and power tank, my question is, i got the new power tank for the dew system, so I charged it for 16 ours as it said in the instructions, but after 1 hour, the fully charged light was on, so I was out for two hours tonight and Im wondering how long should I charge my tank for, I dont trust the indicators on the tank, so what you guys think?

does it need recharging, if yes, how long?

I also have the Celestron power pack and i dont trust the indicators on it either. I charge mine once a month (about the 9th-10th of each month) when not being used. I charge it over night for about 12-13 hrs. When i do use it for an hour or two a night (not every night), i will charge it the next day for a 4-5 hours.

I dont think you can over charge them (as to damage them). However............if you let it run flat, you may kill it.

you can just leave it charging then.

Lead acids work best on a float charge, ideally at 20-25deg C, but you should still be able to leave it in an unheated place (eg garage) but keep it on a float charge!

I have an optimax battery charger that is permanently connected to my bike (lets face it not exactly bike weather) in the garage. Its a 12V charger and maintains the battery, not just charges it. Sure you could use one for telescope. If I ever buy a motorised mount I'll buy another optimax charger for its battery.

Archived