NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an old pair of 10x50s, i say old and i mean it, im 21, these binos must be over 30years old lol. But they are brilliant for complimenting the scope, and i can see M31 quite clearly in them. I love pointed them at a patch of sky where you can see no stars, and just having loads pop out at you.

I have an old pair of 10x50s, i say old and i mean it, im 21, these binos must be over 30years old lol. But they are brilliant for complimenting the scope, and i can see M31 quite clearly in them. I love pointed them at a patch of sky where you can see no stars, and just having loads pop out at you.

Yep im with you bud, i also was wowed with pointing the binocs at a patch of black sky and have loads of stars just appear.

They say aperture is king, but i'm not so sure. I have a pair of hawke naturetrek 8x42, which took some getting used to tbh (eye position is pretty critical). I got some celestron 15x70s a while back, and whilst the light grasp was great, they were uncomfortable and the views weren't very sharp at all when compared to the hawkes. I sent them back a few days later and never looked back.

In my opinion it is much MUCH better to have a good small binocular than to go cheap and large.

Generally very easy unless, like me, you're trying to mount a pair of Russian Tento binos!

Those Russians...They use different threads you know.

If you can take your bins to a local Eng works or even a garage, they might be nice and check the thread with a gauge for you, then you will know what it is. Maybe worth asking someone in the TAL users group if anyone knows what threads the Russians use on their scopes, it could well be the same :)

John.

The Helios 25x100 quantum 4 is £268 not £249 as previously sugested, I would like to know if anyone has had any of these and are they a good pair of binos

Ronnie

Just my opinion and i may of missed an earlier post, but no way i would pay £270 for a pair of binos. Youd need to be doing some serious gazing with them. Can see a 200p dob for that. Must be some cheaper but still satisfactory views pair of binos, plus in your first post you said you want to 'try your hand' at using binos. Thats a whole lot of ££ for trying something.

Like i said, thats just my opinion though.

Just my opinion and i may of missed an earlier post, but no way i would pay £270 for a pair of binos. Youd need to be doing some serious gazing with them. Can see a 200p dob for that. Must be some cheaper but still satisfactory views pair of binos, plus in your first post you said you want to 'try your hand' at using binos. Thats a whole lot of ££ for trying something.

Like i said, thats just my opinion though.

Six inch binoculars are enormous! :Envy: Don't underestimate them. They are not what you see round people's necks at a bird reserve...

I've just paid a lot more than £270 for a pair of 11 year old 8x42s and I'm seriously delighted by them. But yes, I'm serious about observing. You can get pretty close to perfection, though, for an awful lot less in a hand-holdable 42 to 50mm binoc. £150 to £250 gets you into the classy league and there really is a difference over cheapo. I bought the used Leicas because a guest passed me a pair in the dark and I pointed them at Andromeda without having a clue what they were. I just couldn't believe it. It took me a few years to pluck up the courage to go for a pair, though...

If you're going to pay a couple of hundred you have to balance quality against size. If I already had a scope I'd put quality first.

Olly

Archived