NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skymax 127mm Synscan & CG5 tripod

kevthered

I've just bought a Skywatcher Skymax 127mm Synscan, and although I'm very impressed with the quick views I got of the moon through it, I was a bit disappointed at how much shake there is when adjusting focus.

To help make it more stable, I was wondering, would I be able to switch the 1.25" leg tripod it came with, for a more substantial CG5 tripod, or would the size of thread / fittings prevent this ?

Thanks

Kev

Hanging a weight from the underside of the tripod or putting weight in the eyepiece tray is a favourite way to increase the stability, as is not fully extending the legs. Some people modify the focuser to make the knob larger (basically cut a hole in the centre of the lid of a peanut butter jar and fit that over the focuser knob, but do eat the peanut butter first :) which helps a bit. Another option that I used to use is to clip a peg onto the focuser knob once I'd got the the focus position close and then focusing is just a case of pushing the peg up or down.

James

Hanging a weight from the underside of the tripod or putting weight in the eyepiece tray is a favourite way to increase the stability, as is not fully extending the legs. Some people modify the focuser to make the knob larger (basically cut a hole in the centre of the lid of a peanut butter jar and fit that over the focuser knob, but do eat the peanut butter first :) which helps a bit. Another option that I used to use is to clip a peg onto the focuser knob once I'd got the the focus position close and then focusing is just a case of pushing the peg up or down.

James

I'd read about the peanut butter lid idea, now I can't stop craving peanut butter (got to be crunchy !!)

I think I'll give the peg a try first, but I was hoping a sturdier tripod might improve things even more, I'm just not sure if the Skymax and CG5 are compatible.

Archived