QGvideo settings for capturing the Sun with QHY5

Uplooker

Hi All,

Over the weekend i had a play imaging the sun with my SW 150P, Baader Solar Film, QHY5 using the QGvideo software. It took me a while to get everything ready as I am not really familiar with QGvideo. Once I was ready to start capturing the bloomin' sun disappeared below my neighbours roof.

I am better versed in how to use the software but I would really appreciate advice / guidance, from the better informed than myself, on the best settings to use with QGvideo, namely Exposure, Resolution / frame rate etc.

Thank you in advance.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Over the weekend i had a play imaging the sun with my SW 150P, Baader Solar Film, QHY5 using the QGvideo software. It took me a while to get everything ready as I am not really familiar with QGvideo. Once I was ready to start capturing the bloomin' sun disappeared below my neighbours roof.

I am better versed in how to use the software but I would really appreciate advice / guidance, from the better informed than myself, on the best settings to use with QGvideo, namely Exposure, Resolution / frame rate etc.

Thank you in advance.

Ian

Ian did you get anywhere with this ?, I woudl eb interested in hearing hwo to use thsi software

Regards

John B

I didn't notice this thread before Ian, sorry...

I use QGVIdeo with my 5v (should be similar)... not really used it on the sun, more moon and planets, but the principle is the same...

Firstly, set the capture files, location and format... I change it to AVI, as it's simpler when doing a mosaic to have a large number of AVI's made up of 1000 frames, then 1000 image files per pane...

Resolution, is up to you, and will depend on whether you want to use a smaller frame... a smaller frame will normally let you capture at a higher frame rate (as I'm normally hitting 30 - 35... I normally leave it).

I aim for the gain at about 50% and the exposure length as short as I can (to increase the frame rate). This will depend on a number of factors of course, the conditions, the brightness of the target (ok, the sun is bright ;)... but you can shoot through haze which will reduce the brightness a bit, not enough to remove the film of course ;)) and the focal ratio you're operating at.

Hope that's of some help

Archived