Mounting your Telrad

Most people seem to say that the sticky pads that it comes with work fine. I still have mine attached using zip ties because I've not had as much use out of my dob yet that I feel I definitely have it in the right place.

James

Sounds like anything goes! ;-)

If it works! I actually like the idea of using tape (although I've not yet had the chance to try either method discussed), because with cable ties you'd need at least two rings of ties to stabilise the telrad mount - they'd have to be pulled tight to avoid slippage, and to remove them you need the clip them off with a pair of scissors. I'd probably scratch the OTA with my fat fingers... :grin:

Lol gents you have me a scare for a sec then lol! It was only having read your cable tie mishap that I did it all very slowly and carefully, plus I had a pack of 50 so plenty of spares!! Thanks again for the tips! Have just put on the mirrored dew shield too, all fine ( bad back)

I've decided to have a go at attaching my telrad mount to the OTA with the cable tie option today... One thing I noticed from doing this, and comparing to your photo Fordos, is that where you've currently positioned the telrad mount would be too far forward if you decide later that you need to fit a dew-shield at the end of the OTA (to protect the secondary). My home-made effort goes back as far as the base of the focuser, so that's as far forward as I can go with the telrad base.

Just a thought! :smiley:

With the flextube OTA I have little choice about the Telrad positioning, so it is actually very close to the "top" edge of the secondary cage. When I get around to making a dew shield I was just going to make a cut-out in the back edge of the shield so it would fit around the Telrad.

James

Funny you should mention that! After a few hours observing last night I found it to be in a good position for looking through it and any lower would kill my back but then as I thought about putting on my DIY dew shield I realised exactly what you just said! Might just doctor my dew shield a little.

Archived