NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Piggy back DSLR

Stevp

Hi all,

I've been playing about with a new 200mm lens for my DSLR and at the moment i'm using the threaded screw on top of my alt-az mount to utilise the tripod. This screws in directly to the Canon 600D, my question is, is it best to screw the camera on (rotating the whole rig isn't simple) or is there some sort of quick release clip I should be looking at?

Cheers

Stevp

Not sure what tripod your using, but it sounds like you are mounting the camera directly to the tripod without a scope. Thats fine, but what you are looking for is a Manfrotto 323 quick release plate or something similar. Some folks use a ballhead with a release plate, or some monopod heads are useful as they have a release plate already attached. The 323 will set you back a little over £20.

This lets you attach and remove the camera at a flick of a switch, no more spinning.

Thanks Allcart, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm using the Skywatcher aluminium tripod and AZ3 mount that came with my Evostar 90. I can remove the scope from the tube rings and fasten to the top of the tube ring, it isn't elegant but it does the job that I need.

Cheers

Stevp

I have a short dovetail to which I have fixed a Kood ball-head that has a quick-release mount on top, so I can get all that set up on the telescope mount and then just put the camera foot into the quick release. With a 200mm lens I might be tempted to get a lens mounting ring and fit that in the quick release head rather than the camera to get a bit better balance.

James

Thanks, i'll play about with leaving the telescope in to see how I get on.

Thanks James, that sounds like a good setup, i think i've got that clear in my mind, so you have the camera on a dovetail to use the mount? Any chance of a picture or two of your rig?

Cheers

Stevp

I have the ball-head fixed to the dovetail. The dovetail then goes into the mount saddle. The ball-head has a quick-release clamp on top and comes with what is in effect another small dovetail to fit into the tripod thread on the camera. That clips into the quick release clamp.

So, I can put the dovetail and all-head onto the mount, waggle it about to be roughly correct and clip the camera in, then release the locking lever on the ball-head and turn the camera whichever way I like, relocking it when I'm happy.

I don't have any pictures that I can recall, but I'll see if I can take some later. If it helps I have this short dovetail (came with one of my scopes) and the Kood ball-head (can't remember where I got mine, but it was nowhere near the price on that page -- it just has the best pictures).

James

Thanks James, I follow it now and I think I'm going to aim for a similar setup. In more immediate news, I got the Manforotto 323 quick release delivered this morning as suggested by Allcart, and I am very excited to report "No more spinning!"

Cheers

Stevp

Archived