SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mini first light with a Panaview and an Xcel-LX

Jim-a

The postman arrived today with a new 18mm Celestron Xcel-LX from the folks at FLO (thanks for the quick turnaround guys) and a 32mm Panaview which I bought secondhand from ABS.

Unbelievably there was a 30 min gap in the clouds earlier so I got to try them out (very briefly) on the same day they arrived (I understand from most posts on here that is a very rare occurrence).

So first thoughts - and bear in mind I had no more than about 10 mins with each eyepiece, the scope wouldn't have been fully cooled and it was about 6.30 so not fully dark - are...

Panaview - nice heavy well-built feel to it - was really pleased that I can now get the double cluster properly in view (with my previous lowest power I kind of had to choose which of the clusters to look at). Comfortable viewing and the colours (albireo anyway) looked great - didnt get chance to look at any DSO's though so can't comment there.

Celestron Xcel-LX - first impressions were not so good (although to be fair I think it may grow on me). I'd read that the rubber eyecup is notorious for coming away and needing to be reglued and this one is no exception as the rubber was clearly pulling away as you take the end cap off - I know its not a premium eyepiece, but it was £70 and for the sake of a few drops of a better glue - grrr. Anyway the view was nice, colours good, couldn't quite split epsilon lyrae with it on its own - but could with it barlowed. However I found the eye positioning really fussy - any slight movement and I lost the edges of the view - I eventually found a way to rest my eye against the rubber that worked - I'm hoping that I just get used to it over time.

Far from a proper review I know, but thought I'd share first impressions

I have the 25mm Xcel-X. Really like it.

I had read about the problems with the rubber cup, so simply "stretched" the cap (just pulled it quite hard along the edges)

Still tight enough to grip without falling off and not too tight that it pulls off the cap.

Occasionally needs a "refresh" pull!

Not sure if I've been lucky, but I've never had a problem with the rubber eyecups coming off the X-Cel's. At least not yet. On the other hand the dust caps doesn't seem to fit that tight on my EP's. So far I'm more than happy with them.

Archived