NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dodging clouds,a moon and my own roof top!

stolenfeather

314973_10151014065281286_1829232948_n.jpg

It has been 27 nights since I have been out with my telescope. Once again, clouds and professional responsibilities kept me indoors. I don't know what is happening with the weather these days. It seems that I have seen more days of rain than any other year. There are many days where I can't remember what our sun looks like! In the last two months, I have been able to go outdoors only twice! Like a young child planning to dress-up for Halloween and romp from door to door, I waited.

When I saw the clouds open up, showing glimpses of the night sky, I had my husband help me bring out the telescope. Unfortunately, bringing it out alone is quite hard on me and I worry about having collimation issues since I can't keep the equipment as stable.

Once again, like the two previous times, the waxing gibbous moon's glare (94%) was a handicap to some serious viewing. Of course, the clouds were not helping! The wind was incredibly strong. With the light illuminating the clouds, the stars looked like satellites whizzing by!

615521_10151080021781286_1246454777_o.jpg

My TELRAD seemed to be giving me issues since I had to readjust it many times. Usually, I adjust t once in the beginning of my viewing session and it serves me well through the night. Not tonight! My star-hopping abilities were reduced to nil with the clouds, moon and an unreliable viewfinder. In the end, I was still able to find M31 (the Andromeda Galaxy), and a beautiful open cluster found in the constellation Cassiopeia (M103). These were not difficult to locate but under my current handicaps, frustration set in and I nearly cried when I was able to see them.

I had to wait till midnight for the planet Jupiter to make its way high enough so it could be seen over my own roof. Unfortunately, as soon as it peeked from the top, it was engulfed by clouds. I simply shrugged my shoulders when the gas giant vanished from my sight. It was late October and I would have many other moments to gaze at it.

I wrapped up my exploration set-up and headed indoors. The temperature had dipped to 4 degrees Celsius and I really felt like a hot bath. It was a hard night but I did not come back empty handed. A galaxy, star cluster, a planet and of course...

THE MOON (Yes, this is indeed my picture taken with my smart phone)

171974_10151080028131286_1877767176_o.jpg

Isabelle

27 nights.... nearly the last full moon? hmmmmm I see a pattern here :grin:

The good thing - if I can call it that! - about NOT getting out is you know the skies arent going anywhere, all the old favourites will still be there when we do get a chance to view them.

Archived