Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory Pier.

Jeff RV

Crikey Jeff, 4 metres?. That is one big heap of concrete. My driveway across the verge and under the pavings is 4" thick, and it didn't take anything like that much. You should be able to mount the 200" Palomar beastie on to that pad :lol:

Definitely no vibrations there then mate.

Ron. :D

Well i read somewhere Ron that the floor area needs to be at least 5.5" thick so as not to cause vibrations through the pier, the concrete varied between 8" to 10" otherwise evidently you have to leave a gap around the pier base, the re bar by the way is standard practice here but couldn't get road layers mesh in the car so thats 14mm straight re bar.

We now have a family of wild cats took up residence in the garden now,they seem to be testing it out :lol:

Jeff

That was my reckoning jeff. Guesstimate the height of the pier plus scope. Build it and then build up the floor to suit. If you need a stepladder to climb into the obsy then the guesstimations are a little out. :lol:

Mark

I can always look on the bright side, i may not need to use a diagonal :D

Jeff.

Well i read somewhere Ron that the floor area needs to be at least 5.5" thick so as not to cause vibrations through the pier, the concrete varied between 8" to 10" otherwise evidently you have to leave a gap around the pier base, the re bar by the way is standard practice here but couldn't get road layers mesh in the car so thats 14mm straight re bar.

We now have a family of wild cats took up residence in the garden now,they seem to be testing it out :lol:

Jeff

Well Jeff, at that thickness, I would be surprised if you got any vibration from a Challenger tank running over it.

It must have taken it's toll on your back mate, even with the help of a mixer.

Good job well done. Keep us posted on the progress.

Ron. :D

Archived