Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Items to consider

Hi guys

So i have been thinking about which scope to buy and getting some great advice but one thing crossed my mind. apart from the scope what else should i consider buying accessory wise?

I thought

1. Night Sky Planisphere

2. Collimating Eyepiece

(the other reason for this question is do i need lens cleaning equipment or temperature consideration equipment?)

Hi guys

So i have been thinking about which scope to buy and getting some great advice but one thing crossed my mind. apart from the scope what else should i consider buying accessory wise?

I thought

1. Night Sky Planisphere

2. Collimating Eyepiece

(the other reason for this question is do i need lens cleaning equipment or temperature consideration equipment?)

You "could" buy a Night Sky Planisphere but if you download stellarium, its free and very easy to use then you would save your money!

Once you get your scope, work with it a little and then you might want to get yourself a few decent EPs.

Astro-cleaning gear (the Baader type, buld-blower etc) is relatively cheap and will last you years and will keep your expensive EPs spick and span.

You might want to get yourself a decent star atlas to use out in the field to find yourself around the heavens.

A telrad is always nice to own as is a decent viewfinder.

A solid case for keeping and protecting your delicate EPs in is a nice touch. Think you can pick these up cheap in the UK.

A red torch, pirate's eye patch, cord for glasses to hang round your neck (if you wear glasses) are most useful and extremely cheap to sort out.

Pencils, pens, chalk, brushes, paper, etc if you fancied doing some sketches at the EP.

An ironing chair or drummer's stool is handy if you're observing for long hours.

The only thing you will definitely need at some point is something to help collimate and a red torch. Otherwise I would pass on the info that was passed to me. "Enjoy your scope first, get to appreciate it's shortcomings before you spend money trying to remedy them" I wish I had listened to that advice it would have saved me spending money on stuff I don't need or use.

Gotta get me one of those, lol. +1 for TLAO, very useful. I'd add that cold weather gear is maybe worth thinking about.

Er... Yeah... Turn Left at Orion... Bit of a brain fart/iPad typing there... Lol.

Archived