Benefits of a webcam.

So, just last week I bought a cheap £5 webcam from B&M bargains to use as an astrocam. I removed the lens and attached a 35mm film holder with one end cut out of it so it would fit inside the slot on the telescope.

I couldn't actually understand how this method would work as 1, I wasn't going to be using an eyepeice and 2, the webcam wasn't going to have a lens. However, the results blew me away. I can't believe how well this very cheap method works.

I used the webcam on the Moon just the other night and got some great results, here is just 1:

post-25986-0-61219100-1351195263_thumb.p

I used the program SharpCap that allows me to take snapshots and video. Since I can't quite get to grips with Registax, I am unable to turn the footage into an image. If anyone can send some links to tutorials that goes through the Registax footage to image process simply, that would be appreciated.

- Bokeh

I couldn't actually understand how this method would work as 1, I wasn't going to be using an eyepeice and 2, the webcam wasn't going to have a lens.

1.The eyepiece is used to magnify the image that is formed inside the telescope. As you are forming the image directly onto the webcam's sensor there's no need for an eyepiece.

2.The webcam has a lens, of sorts: the telescope's objective lens or mirror. That's what bends the light and forms an image on the sensor.

When you put the webcam into the telescope, the telescope becomes the lens. That's how it works. it's perhaps easier to visualise if you're using a refractor. The original camera lens is just a refracting lens that focuses the incoming light on the camera sensor. All you're doing is replacing it with a bigger one. And a newt is just the same, but replacing the lens with a mirror. A Mak or SCT is just the same if you put the webcam in one, and in fact there are camera lenses that are of a similar design to achieve a far longer focal length than the physical size of the lens.

James

Quite a nice picture that! Which webcam did you do it with?

Cheers mate! I was very pleased with the result. It's just a basic one from B&M bargains in the UK (unsure of your nationality) that only cost £5. Here is the link:

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/optimum-3-megapixel-webcam-251953

Everything is automated so there's no trouble with messing around with the settings trying to get the right brightness etc.

Archived