Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question on Debayering (I forgot to remember....)

Ringrocket

Hello people,

I've been inactive now for half a year. But finally right now I could get my scope outside and hope for a clear night. My goal is to capture Uranus with it's moons. But since it's been some time since I used all the equipment and software i suddenly remembered that I've fotgotten some things.

One thing which I tried to re-discover (has nothing t do with Uranus) is about debayering.

What is the concensus now for debayering when using a DBK ? I looked at some forums and my own notes but I'm still confused about it.

I have IC-CApture, Castrator, AS!2 and registax. I used to use Firecapture, but below 60 FPS switched to capturing with the camera on YUY2 and video RGB24 (and let IC Capture do the debayering).

But what are your opinions now ? Let the camera itself do the debayering by using for instance RGB24 ? Or let IC-capture debayer ? Or record un-debayered and let Firecapture debayer ? Or AS!2 debayering ? And what about that artefact that looked like a debayer pattern or grid when recording at 60 FPS ? Does it happen with all codecs and all programs ? And what about files bigger than 1Gig ?

I would be verry happy with any help or suggestions to help me sort this out for my new imaging season.

Hope to show a pic of Uranus as a blue dot with some moons in the near future ;-)

Thanks a lot Stuart !

I had not seen your interesting topic about the codecs :icon_redface: .

Am I correct that when capturing with YUY2 / RGB24 I alway's have to switch the debayering on ?

So in the end I will feed the stacking programs (AS!2) an already debayered avi ?

Is there still a problem with a pattern in the final image when captured at 60 FPS ?

Unfortunately the skies haven't been clear these day's because of a verry thin layer of clouds/fog in an otherwise perfect sky.

Guess I'l have to do some testing filming indoors :rolleyes:

Debayering needs to be OFF when using YUY2/RGB24 as it automatically produces colour. Debayer needs to be ON when using y800/RGB24 (if debayer is off you will get a colour preview image but a mono capture).

When using y800/y800 debayer is OFF and then the captured avi can be opened in AS!2 which automatically debayers, basically the avi will appear instantly in colour (occasionally it may be blue or green so you have to select the correct colour on one of the drop down menus at top of screen.).

I've never had a problem with the bayer pattern on Jupiter even at 60fps to be honest I think its a result of over sharpening.

Archived